clothing for the Exmoor Beast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcw

I'm riding the beast and have only ridden dry sportives before. The thought of 100M in wet clothes with a cold wind blowing doesn't sound like much fun. For commuting I make do with a tiny Montane ultralight, at worst I'm going to get caught by 40 mins of rain. I've been through some pretty heavy downpours and stayed pretty much dry just a bit of dampness on the ouside of my long sleeved jersey. Is it worth getting a proper waterproof or are they way to hot to wear for extended periods such as the serveral hours it will take me to finish the beast. I'll have water proof socks and I'm not that bothered about my legs getting cold just don't want my top half to be completely soaked through.At least I can take the montane off and stuff it in my jersey pockets when it's not used.

jimboalee

If it really pisses down, you can punch three holes in a bin liner. As long as your torso and chest are kept dry, your arms and legs will survive. The best long distance rain fellows use the bright green ones that are for garden waste.

OP
OP
marcw

marcw

If it really pisses down, you can punch three holes in a bin liner. As long as your torso and chest are kept dry, your arms and legs will survive. The best long distance rain fellows use the bright green ones that are for garden waste.

surely they'd boil to death unless there were big enough holes to let air in. Big holes don't tend to be good at keeping the rain out.

OP
OP
marcw

marcw

aren't they at least partially breathable and do up at the neck? I googled this one after the binbag suggestion http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0606 Hadn't considered a gillet before.

I would have though with a bin bag your chest will sweat buckets and your back will get wet from rain dripping down from your shoulders.

jimboalee

I've had lots of experience at riding through rainstorms. The chest doesn't get very wet if you keep moving. A jacket of some sorts keeps the torso dry and most importantly, warm. Hot sweat is better than cold rainwater.
Each degree of temperature the body gets colder than Neutral Skin Temperature is energy wasted trying to get it back up. Remember that rain has fallen from the cold clouds above.

When it REALLY rains unexpectedly, punch holes in the binbag for your arms and one for your head to poke through, gather up the looseness around the neck and fasten with tape, a freezer bag clip or even a clothes peg. Petrol stations usually have this kind of stuff. Pubs will help you out too, if you buy a hot sugary drink.

When it REALLY rains unexpectedly, take your mittens off and keep them dry. Find a couple of plastic bags for your hands and a couple for your feet.

Hope the heavy rainstorm passes. When it does, all the temporary coverings can be slung in a litter bin.

The last time I resorted to this stuff was on an Audax through Shrewsbury. I stopped at Percy Thrower's Garden Centre and dressed up like a scarecrow...:laugh:

OP
OP
marcw

marcw

I kind of like the idea of finishing the course with plastic bags on my feet, it would encourage me to try and overtake anyone with proper overshoes on too. I'd feel a bit wierd though, like one of those people who wear tin foil hats.

Forget the binbags unless you really are stuffed!

The Beast is hilly and you shouldn't have much trouble keeping your temperature up, even if it does piss down. However, a lightweight waterproof will be valuable, preferably windproof as well. Wool base layers (socks and vest) will also help as they will keep you warm even when soaked. A heavy weight jacket like the Night Vision will probably be too hot if you're riding hard.

My most important item on wet rides is a cap with a decent peak - it will keep the worst of the rain out of your face as well as retaining vital warmth.

Don't be embarassed about taking a decent sized saddle-bag or other luggage holder, the Beast is a hard ride at a difficult time of year and I'd rather have a range of kit available than worry about whether I look like a 'proper' roadie.

Lance Substrong

Why all this negativity regarding the weather for 'The Beast'? The long range forecast for the end of the month looks reasonably good and certainly can't be any more challenging than last year, when a thousand riders defied the elements in a mass demonstration of determination. And lets not forget 2007, when the sun shone all day and the Indian summer conditions saw many participants turn out in shorts and light jerseys. Even the following year it was dry throughout the event, after the overnight downpoor finally stopped about half an hour before the off. My advice is expect the best and be prepared for whatever conditions present themselves. Some of the bizarre suggestions above - plastic sacks, sticky tape, tin foil and plastic bags as riding apparel - have attracted the attention of the cycling style police, who are apparently going to discipline riders who they belive are bringing the sport into disrepute by wearing recycling materials. I for one do not intend to be seen in the company of such sartorial shunners and will keep a respectable distance between them any my well turned out self, even if it means missing out on the gold standard certificate. See you there guys and gals and lets give 'The Beast' a real good thrashing this time.

jimboalee

Why all this negativity regarding the weather for 'The Beast'? The long range forecast for the end of the month looks reasonably good and certainly can't be any more challenging than last year, when a thousand riders defied the elements in a mass demonstration of determination. And lets not forget 2007, when the sun shone all day and the Indian summer conditions saw many participants turn out in shorts and light jerseys. Even the following year it was dry throughout the event, after the overnight downpoor finally stopped about half an hour before the off. My advice is expect the best and be prepared for whatever conditions present themselves. Some of the bizarre suggestions above - plastic sacks, sticky tape, tin foil and plastic bags as riding apparel - have attracted the attention of the cycling style police, who are apparently going to discipline riders who they belive are bringing the sport into disrepute by wearing recycling materials. I for one do not intend to be seen in the company of such sartorial shunners and will keep a respectable distance between them any my well turned out self, even if it means missing out on the gold standard certificate. See you there guys and gals and lets give 'The Beast' a real good thrashing this time.

:laugh: You have to laugh.

This guy goes to great lengths telling us his disapproval of the binbag waterproof jacket, and then tells us he will let the binbaggers finish the ride AHEAD of him.

Nasawing

:laugh: You have to laugh.

This guy goes to great lengths telling us his disapproval of the binbag waterproof jacket, and then tells us he will let the binbaggers finish the ride AHEAD of him.

'The Binbaggers'! I've heard that they're riding as a team. They've got their lead rider; Rustle, their trick rider; Wheelie-bin Bagger and their gnarly veteren ex merchant marine, BinBag The Sailor. They say that other riders are RUBBISH.

PK99

Legendary Member
Why all this negativity regarding the weather for 'The Beast'? The long range forecast for the end of the month looks reasonably good and certainly can't be any more challenging than last year,

I drove over/through Exmoor on Friday - i certainly hope the weather for the Beast is better than we had, i seriously considered parking up for a while as road/visibility conditions were so bad.

Nasawing

[...begin Elton Mode]

"Weeeeell, I guess that's why they call it THE BEAST"...

[...exit Elton mode] .

I guess that there are fairweather cyclists and then there are CYCLISTS. The chance of some challenging conditions is what makes this one stand out for me - who wants guaranteed sunny weather and flat terrain?! BORING! :thumbsup:

Lance Substrong

Given the conditions dealt out by 'The Beast' last year, below is an appropriate quote taken from a Cycling Weekly report on another major sportive .

There wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end. There wasn't a dry anything in the house at the end. As one wag in the carpark put it: "It would have been fine it it wasn't for the rain." The sense of achievement is always greater in arduous conditions and here it was huge. Anyone who completed the event will be dining out on the story for years."

Top Bottom