Coast 2 coast in a day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aka0019

Myself and a few others a looking at doing the c2c over the next few weeks and want to do it in a day. I wondered if anyone has any experiences of doing it in a day? Also, I want to do it on my road bike, would that be ok? I have heard about lots of people completing it on a road bike?

Any advice welcome

Thanks
Andrew

Oh and sorry if this is in the wrong section!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Which C2C are you doing? I've done the official one and wasn't impressed at all. I did this one last weekend over two days but this route is possible in a one-er if you are reasonably fit (I was with a less experienced cyclist and didn't want to freak him out!) It's not too hilly and if you aren't too bothered about traffic, you can stay on the Stokesley to Guisborough road and miss out the lumpy stuff nearer the end. Doing it that way gives you about 1/3 the climb of the official route. See what you think anyway.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Coast-to-Coast-Morecambe-to-Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm doing the Whitehaven to Tynemouth route in 2 days, next Mon/Tues... really looking forward to it... we're going to do the Old Coach Road bit also. I'll be using my MTB with semi-slicks, but might put knobblies on if I get round to it beforehand.

Craz

The route is definately do-able in a day and any type of bike is suitable for the standard c2c route.

There are loads of trip reports on the c2c-guide.co.uk website from people who've done it in a day.

The general conscensous is that you should be doing it from West Coast to East (prevailing winds are more often than not behind you).

The c2c-guide website also lists a few cafe stops, bike taxis (essential in an emergency if you don't have your own support car on standby) and up to date info on any route changes.

I've found that some of the signage can get a bit hairy once you leave the waskerly way bridleways on the run in to Washington, etc and the estates and cyclepaths on the way into Sunderland can be littered with glass and kids ready to lob things at any passing cyclist so just be aware or the potential hazards! It may even be worth taking to the roads once you're 15-20 miles out rather than sticking to the official route (is that classed as cheating?!) but that's entirely up to you.

Craz.

I ride the section between sunderland and consett and also the derwent walk option very frequently, and although true about the glass, I have never had any problems with kids.

We did the full route in 3 days, fairly leisurely. If you have a reasonable level of fitness, 1 day should be fine. I would however suggest you do it supported so you can travel light.

Craz

I guess we've been unlucky then. Perhaps it has something to do with passing in large groups? Anyway, it's certainly nothing worth worrying about and I wouldn't abandon a Sea2Sea trip because of it!!

barneybear

I did it in a day this year - the final 3 climbs were the hardest of the rip but once you get to Parkhead Cafe it's plain sailing down to the coast.
On mountain bikes, following the route, really hot dya, head winds - 3 out of 4 of us made it.
good luck

livestrong10_02

planning on riding the transpennine trail from Southport to Hornsea with my 11yo nephew next year. mainly on tracks/canal paths etc and hoping to complete in a few days on MTBS. be a change from riding Audax

stumpy

Is there a official one from Aberdovey to great Yarmouth??? That would be a good challenge!!!! Doubt you could do it in a day though!!!! (I know this has no relevance to the OP but I thought I’d just put it out there):hyper::smile:

bilko

10 more miles until coffee
Did the C2C in April on road bike with 700 X 28C tyres, blew hole in the front tyre on the Whinlatter off-road bit, I found it easier with the gearing than when I did it on the off-road bike a few years bike. I did the northern finish thro Newcastle, no glass problems just illegal motorbikes on the cycle-path.
Planning to attempt in a day in 2010, should be good.

OP
OP
aka0019

aka0019

Bit late in replying to this but I did it ;) It was the Whitehaven to Tynemouth route. Think we were cycling for about 12 hours in total, it was 136 miles altogether. I have to say I totally loved doing it although some of it was a nightmare ie. Crawleyside! Funny thing is I got about 5 punctures throughout the day on the roads then once we got on the off road sort of track after Crawleyside I didn't get one!?

One thing worth mentioning is that we booked a minibus to take us over. It had a proper trailer and the bikes seemed fine but the morning we started the ride I noticed that something had been rubbing and had caused a hole to appear in my tyre, luckily it lasted till we got to the first place, can't remember where now though. My dads tyre was also slightly worn as well as my forks. So make sure they are firmly secure!

One more thing, Joe Waugh also did it with is as him and my dad are good mates. I thought since he is getting on now I would have him no bother but he was away up the hills. He's still got it!

I will definately be doing it again next year!

Top Bottom