Coast & Castles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lonewalker

I’m planning riding the coast and castle rroute starting from Edinburgh then making my way back home to Leeds .
I will be doing it on my road bike so will be looking at avoiding any parts that are un rideable can anyone let me know what parts of the route to avoid please

Many thanks

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
South of Berwick - probably best avoided, especially if it is, or has been, wet

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was considering this a year or two ago. Would like to do it with my sons now they are capable riders. It will be interesting to see how you get on so please post a few reports about the trip :okay:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I love it up there, had a week in the summer around Holy Island, Seahouses etc.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The section from Bamburgh down to Craster is on road and a mile or so back from the coast (unless you take the detour into and back out of Seahouses) - the road surface isn't great in places but it's quite rideable on a road bike and they're generally quiet lanes. I think I saw two cars on the bit 'twixt Bamburgh and Seahouses last summer when I rode it.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-4881316

ozboz

Guru
I am hoping to do this ride, but opposite direction , Starting at Jarrah my mates gaff and heading toward Edinburgh , I’ll be doing it on the trusty Surly, so tracks and dodgy roads no probs I hope !
Big question is ........ when I can do it , nice rustic coast line , steeped in history

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think some of it might challenge even the Surly. Around Alnmouth the track is actually sand dunes.
I rode up in 2014 and had to walk a few bits of that coast even with a touring bike and 35mm marathons. My write up is here - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=81089.0

ozboz

Guru
I think some of it might challenge even the Surly. Around Alnmouth the track is actually sand dunes.
I rode up in 2014 and had to walk a few bits of that coast even with a touring bike and 35mm marathons. My write up is here - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=81089.0

Have you posted your tour diary before . It looks familiar, still a great read though!,

I’d say I’d be on shank’s pony somewhere along the track, I’ve got 35 land cruisers on it , seem to cope well on off road situations , but fully laden I think I’d struggle on soft sand even with deflated tyres

OP
OP
lonewalker

lonewalker

Thanks so far all iv sorted route from Edinburgh to berwick was easy just sticking to the coast & castle route starying at the Kings Arms in berwick .Now next is to hexham hopefully sticking to the coast best so i can pass castles down to Warkworth then heading inland to hexham as most of you said some of the coast and castle route is not suitable for road bikes iv looked on google earth and i see what you mean would anyone have a route staying off the A1 but sticking to nice roads between berwick and Warkworth i can turn inland before or after warkworth if there is anything worth doing a detour for .

many thanks paul doing the ride friday 10th may 2019

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks so far all iv sorted route from Edinburgh to berwick was easy just sticking to the coast & castle route starying at the Kings Arms in berwick .Now next is to hexham hopefully sticking to the coast best so i can pass castles down to Warkworth then heading inland to hexham as most of you said some of the coast and castle route is not suitable for road bikes iv looked on google earth and i see what you mean would anyone have a route staying off the A1 but sticking to nice roads between berwick and Warkworth i can turn inland before or after warkworth if there is anything worth doing a detour for .

many thanks paul doing the ride friday 10th may 2019

The only stretch that's a bit iffy on a road bike is the first few miles south of Berwick.

After that, following NCN 1 it's minor roads and well-made paths all the way to Tynemouth.

Others may know more about diverting inland for Hexham, but if you wanted to complete the Coast and Castles ride you would need to follow it to the end at Tynemouth.

From there, you could track the north bank of the Tyne through Newcastle then through Wylam and Corbridge.

Turning inland earlier than Tynemouth would be shorter, and if not exactly hilly, a lot more up and down than the coast and bank of the Tyne.

Top Bottom