C2C planning (Whitehaven to Teeside-ish) - where to stop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I've said for the past 8 years that I'm going to do the C2C before I'm 40 and I'm running out of time (2024 being the deadline) A new push to get on with it is to do it to raise money for the Alzheimers society as my dad is starting to struggle with his alzehimers and I'll be doing it on the bike he bought when he was 15 that's been in the family since new and I want to complete it while he's able to comprehend what I've gotten up to :smile:

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on planning the trip.

the chap I'm hoping to do it with is a teacher so we're dictated by school holidays, any suggestions for places to stay that are happy with 1 night stops?

Ride home (way of the roses) or get transport?

How to work out what distance to cover each day,

The reason heading for Scarborough and not Robin Hoods Bay - I've helped push the scout mini bus up that hill as it couldn't cope with it loaded, and I have family in Scarborough with a garage for us to be able to stay.

Thanks

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Maybe judge it more on how hard parts are, the climbs particularly out of Settle, Appletreewick to Greenhow and Wilsill to Brimham and the longer time taken. Also any need for new brake pads after the decent from Greenhow:eek:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I rode the Way of the Roses a few years back and then carried on to Scarborough. Stayed overnight, cycled to Leeds and caught the train home.

Like me you're in Lancashire. It worked well and the ride from Scarborough to Leeds is a good one.

As it happens I'm doing Morecambe to RHB in July. 126 miles in a group of eight. The plan is to finish in the day.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
That'd be two days then. You're a Pennine dweller and still just a young pup so no need to milk it, people might start to think you were just having a jolly :okay:

perhaps, but I've not done more than 20k in one day for over 10 years (did it once last summer) and not been on a road bike for a year!
My friend is a midlands-dweller where it's all flat :laugh:

If we can both get some training in I'm sure we'd be fine in a long weekend.

Punkawallah

Über Member
If it’s an old bike, consider a modern freewheel (14 - 32 or better) or walking it up hills. My Dawes (14-28) struggled when I did St Bees to Saltburn this week. Nothing to do with the 20 year age difference. Obvs :-)

T4tomo

Guru
Whitehaven to Scarborough - Did you mean Walney to Scarborough the Whitehaven C2C normally ends in Newcastle / Sunderland, but Walney to Whitby (or Wearside) is also a traditional route?

If you want some guidance on least worst route through the NYM national park, happy to oblige as that is where i grew up. Blakey ridge and Dalby forest is probably the way if you are coming in from the NW

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I'm open to guidance on anything and everything!

I've got the two routes confused in my mind and bundled into one.

I'm wondering if way of the roses might be better for a first time expedition to do C2C later, or just abandon the Scarborough finish and do the C2C.

I could always do C2C there and Way of the Roses back :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Also any need for new brake pads after the decent from Greenhow:eek:
Assuming that you made it without needing the Yorkshire Air Ambulance... :ohmy:

T4tomo

Guru
I've got the two routes confused in my mind and bundled into one.
This might ease your confusion, there are a number of "established" routes, some of which are shown below. If you wanted to end up in Scarborough, Way of the Roses is a good bet and from York, rather than cut south of the A64 to Brid, head north of it, via Sherriff Hutton, Castle Howard, Pickering, Dalby Forest, Scalby.
WotR is also all road, whereas C2C has a few bits of light off-road, which might be more challenging on your Dad's bike, depending on what tyres are on it.

My Dad suffered with dementia, I did a coast to coast a few years back and he was still with us enough to comprehend what was going on and met me at RHB at the end.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/coast-coast-alternatives
1624545806908-png.png

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Thanks @T4tomo that helps clarify things,

Tyres wise, it's on 27 / 1 1/4 which have served me quite well on cobbles and gravel tracks over the years and a slippery ford where, out of myself and 6 teenagers on mountain bikes trying to knock me in, I was the only one who stayed upright :laugh:

How the bike will be when loaded off road is something to consider so thanks for highlighting that.

T4tomo

Guru
27 x 1 1/4 will be fine on any off road , that's about 32m anyway similar to some "gravel" bikes. I was just putting it out there in case it was on 19/21mm tyres which was a fashion in the late 80's ^_^

OP
OP
Black Sheep
The bike is a 1968 Carlton, I've had a braise on to put a twin on the front to be able to cope with hills when I had it re-painted over winter.

Still need to finish putting it back together and go ride it!

OP
OP
Black Sheep
So, I've got the last few parts I need for the bike arriving, hopefully, this week.
Not sure how long it'll last based on my weekend's cycling.

The chain on the mountain bike is skipping as though it's too wide for the cassette, I had put an 8 speed on by mistake, this has been replaced by a supposed 9 speed so not sure what's the issue.

The tandem (also known as picnic bike)'s chain got folded around the rear crank about a mile from home, a group of bikers were kind enough to stop and lend a chain tool allowing me to take some of the more bent links out and ride home rather than have to walk.

So, bike less at the moment :sad:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
So, I've got the last few parts I need for the bike arriving, hopefully, this week.
Not sure how long it'll last based on my weekend's cycling.

The chain on the mountain bike is skipping as though it's too wide for the cassette, I had put an 8 speed on by mistake, this has been replaced by a supposed 9 speed so not sure what's the issue.

The tandem (also known as picnic bike)'s chain got folded around the rear crank about a mile from home, a group of bikers were kind enough to stop and lend a chain tool allowing me to take some of the more bent links out and ride home rather than have to walk.

So, bike less at the moment :sad:
If the parts are all correct I wonder whether the derailleur pivots are all moving correctly?

Top Bottom