Coast to Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CliveG

Has anyone completed the coast to coast cycle (Southport to Hornsea). I know there are a couple of variations. I plan to do this with a mate at the end of October over two days and wondered if anyone had any advice on where to stay (around half way). Also planning to ride this on a road bike so what are the trails like?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My first tour was Hornsea to Southport a few years ago & over a week, with next door neighbour & his kids.
I'm doing Liverpool to Hornsea over 2 days in about 3 weeks time. Booked into a b&b near Barnsley, I'll let you know how that goes, although it will be a little further than half way if your starting from Southport :thumbsup:

There are a few bits that will be a bit rough on a road bike. I did it on a hybrid with 700x38 tyres on & it coped fine, although there was one hill over the pennines that was too rough for me, but the vast majority is on quiet roads & decent cycle paths

robgul

Legendary Member
Did this in 2003 - Trans Pennine Trail is the official title .... a varied ride - with lots of really annoying "control gates" on the route (mainly on the western parts between Southport & Manchester) - there's a guide book and a reasonable set of maps for it .... Google to find

I would question riding it on much less than 700 x 28 tyres

Rob

Trumpettom001

Clive - Subscribe to this thread - I'm setting off this saturday to do the TPT (southport to Hornsea).... When I get back I'll put a list of the campsites I'm staying at up, and their contact numbers and all that, and even have the .gpx files for the trail itself, including the 2 or 3 mile detours neccesarry to get to the campsites for the trail..

I'm also takng the video camera so will definately get a few clips of the rougher parts for you so you can see what you're up against....

Wish me luck!!!!! (I'm goin solo!!!)

Top Bottom