Coffee machines...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We use a cafetiere and pre-ground coffee. I did think of getting a £40 burr grinder and a supply of beans. Then I realised that the gains would be marginal, and that life was too short to ponce about with Escoffier nonsense.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
To update the thread, in the end I went along to Currys and bought the one I initially thought of after considering the options from yourselves.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/delonghi-ecam23-460-bean-to-cup-coffee-machine-silver-black-10152771-pdt.html?awc=1599_1514671090_927fade51fde482034935a6c21da5aae&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~Skimlinks~Editorial Content~78888&awid=78888

I'm pretty impressed, after playing about with the grind settings a bit. So nice having proper coffee at hand. No chance I'll regret this purchase. To top it off Delonghi are offering free pack worth £100 including free service and a few other bits, but that deal ends new year's Eve to anyone who may be interested.
Looks very decent indeed.

I do love Currys £400.99 off. Yes, right!

Now to find the right beans for you...

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Looks very decent indeed.

I do love Currys £400.99 off. Yes, right!

Now to find the right beans for you...
I bought 3 different types (250g) for starters. Part of the deal with Delonghi was another 3 or 4 free packs which I'll try when they arrive in a few days.

What do you use?

swansonj

Guru
IMG_1267.JPG

Wedding present. Of course, being a man, that means I know exactly how old it is :smile:: 22 1/2 years and a few weeks. Still going strong.

sight-pin

Veteran
While we're on the subject of coffee ......Lidl have 1.2k packs of Espresso or Crema coffee beans 100% Arabica for £8.99 each today.

Bodhbh

Guru
Didn't read this thread at first. I just got an Aeropress this morning and it was great, best coffee I've had in a long time. Got me enthusiastic enough to start search about grinding beans and lead me here. I may press the button on an Aergrind - the manual grinder that fits inside it. It will get used camping and wasn't madly impressed by the Jetboil press I was using.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks for the all the great posts above. I'm returning to this because we've just killed another coffee machine - it got revenge by wiping the heating system controller's settings as it tripped out the circuit.

Go on, I'll bite before someone else does. Decent Hario grinder (skerton or similar), stovetop by Bialetti, a frother from Hario if you must and a sh*tload of money left over for coffee beans. You'll get much nicer coffee, and will be set up for life with lo-fi gear to last.
I'm leaning towards the above setup (but maybe another Italian than Bialetti), but wondering about one of those combined milk warmers+frothers. Does anyone have one they'd recommend or discourage?

G.A.T. do a basket for their stovetops that can use an ESE pod and sometimes it'd be nice not to mess with loose coffee but not be creating the masses of hard-to-recycle plastic waste that the big pod machines do. Does anyone else do stovetop ESE baskets and who sells them?

Or should we just bite the bullet and buy a small Gaggia to do real espresso and also deliver steam for milk frothing?

And has anyone tried those portable espresso pumps for better coffee while touring? Handpresso, Minipresso or the 8 bar clones. I've an Aeropress but it's not quite espresso plus it's a pig to clean enough to put away.

Top Bottom