Cold feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclebum

Can anyone please help me with the problem of cold feet. I went out saturday afternoon and as the sun began to drop and the temp went with it I started having problem with my feet. When I was on here a few years ago (just getting back in the saddle after a long break!) I was advised to were 2 layers of socks with a plastic bag between. I have been doing this with the outer layer being a thermal cycling sock, but my feet became so painful with cold I had to abandon the ride a few miles from home and get my hubby to come and collect me :sad:.
I am wearing trainers that with the two layers of socks makes them a bit tight, could this be part of the problem? :unsure:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I struggle with this one too and after trying different combinations socks, plastic bags, even tin foil - I've come to the conclusion that a pair of winter boots are the only real solution. But I can't afford them so it's down to damage limitation. Overshoes help noticeably. Keeping the shoe loose helps. Also, I think that riding clipless might be helping because instead of a constant static down pressure on the ball of the feet, you have the ability to take your weight off the foot on the upstroke which aids circulation - not as well as it does when walking but there's some similarity.

I'd love to hear if there will be any other suggestions coming along.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Merino wool socks are excellent for keeping the feet warm; I've the Sealskinz ones and have been very happy so far (1.5 years of use...not constant)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Certainly, having socks or shoes too tight can hinder circulation, and promote cold feet.

I usually put white sports socks over my normal socks, which roll up over the end of the long leggings, and my feet have not got too cold even in the big chill last winter.

Miffy

Über Member
I know they're prob not the best thing to cycle in but I have been wearing snow boots on the bike - they are waterproof, windproof and pretty well insulated, only wear with one pair of normal socks and they really keep my feet warm, I hate having cold feet :sad: and they are the only thing that has worked well for me. I got mine for £15 in the sales and they're good enough for now. I would like to try out some merino wool socks though, I have a few tops and they're fab.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

I've just been on a little shopping spree and was recommended 'woolie boolies' that are in fact made of mirano wool. they're not cheap but as I told my husband they'll be cheaper than all the new shoes I'll need after I've lost all my toes from frost bite!!^_^ I also planned to get some overshoes but they only had my size in the expensive ones, so I'm hoping to get some later in the week when I hopefully go to collect the new pedals I ordered to go with my new spd's :biggrin::biggrin:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
neoprene over shoes are just amazing! Youd not believe it if youve not tried them. They will shower proof your feet, but cant be expected to keep proper water out as itll run down your leg!

Cheap too, I got some from planet-x for a tenner

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks for that advice, I'll look out for some! ^_^
Only why do these things have to look so ugly and cumbersome :sad:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
They may look cumbersome and ugly, but they do the trick. Next time you are out have a look at how many cyclists wear them.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was just about to go out into the rain at the end of a temporary shift when a work colleague told me he thought my overshoes were really cool! I wasn't entirely convinced personally but he was banging on like they'd be the latest fashion. The world is nuts, I tell you, nuts:ohmy: They do help though.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

I'll still wear them, besides I'll be cycling so fast with my new clips that no one will recognise me anyway :laugh:
The cheapest neoprene I found so far was for around £16 on a site called 'Rose', they also had the cheapest Assos cream but I've not come across this site before. Anyone heard of or used before?

Hip Priest

Veteran
Would neoprene overshoes be compatible with toe clips? I've been having some discomfort on long rides due to the cold.

Top Bottom