Comedy moment - back wheel fell off....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went for a ride at Bedgbury today, but I almost never got there.

I took the bike on the car to a nice little car park just off the A21 about 3/4 of a mile from Bedgbury. Took the bike off the car, got kitted up and rode out of the car park. Seeing a gap in the traffic (A21 is dual carriageway at this point with lots of cars belting along) I stamped on the pedals. Whereupon there was a mighty knocking noise and my pedals siezed up solid. Very luckily, my momentum carried me over to the central reservation where I looked down and realised that the back wheel was hanging out of its mountings, as the quick release had obviously released......

Sheepishly, I gathered up the bike, waited for a gap in the traffic to get across the other side of the carriageway to the hard shoulder, and put the wheel back in and clamped it tightly into place. Fortunately (or perhaps I mean miraculously) everything was functioning correctly - no damage to wheel, gears, chain, frame, me - except for my pride - and I rode on, into Bedgbury for an enjoyable session.

Do people routinely check that the wheels are securely fastened before they set off? I never have done, but I always check the brakes. Maybe if you don't, you should....... I know I will in future

Salad Dodger said:
Do people routinely check that the wheels are securely fastened before they set off? I never have done, but I always check the brakes. Maybe if you don't, you should....... I know I will in future

Do you know - I had that very thought today pedalling home after my day out. I had to stop and check as the thought crossed my mind that with the bike left for hours today, anyone could have messed with the quick-release.

They hadn't and all was fine but I resolved to make that a quick check before setting off in future

navrat_biker

OMG funny but not at the same time. I bet the embarrasment is on a same par as when i fell off sideways at a set of lights, in which i had to come to a sudden stop.

Never a good one but least your ok. As for does anyone check. I remember when i bought my bike they said to check the QR skewers before setting out.

Norm

The rear wheel on my 20 year old MTB has never been easily secured, no matter how much effort I put into doing up the nuts.

So I was embarrassed but not surprised when it came loose, locking the wheel and having me doing forward rolls in the road a couple of months back.

Fecking thing.

Sam Kennedy

Every time I come back to my back at the bike stands at school, I check the quick release for both wheels, I don't normally check the brakes, since they are road calipers, so even when 'unclipped' they still function normally. Also I normally have to tap the brakes at least once leaving school, so I will know whether they work or not ;)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not lost a wheel yet... but half way round first decent length ride on a bike I built up for one of the boys - the left hand crank fell off.

He "hadn't noticed" it becoming more & more wobbly, as the nut worked itself loose.

Don't carry a crank bolt spanner in the tool kit and flat pedals so no chance of riding "one footed". 10 mile walk home. Grrr!

Top Bottom