Commute Horror Stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jdratcliffe

just wanted to say this mornings commute was dare i say it 99% perfect the weather was great just a little chill in the air but nice and sunny no near misses low numbers of traffic and only 1 twat on legs who stepped out in front of me but due to the nicest of the ride i smiled and carried on..... plus i bested my time into work seemingly without a sweat (it was only by 5secs).. anyone else have a pleasant ride in today?

Leodis

Veteran
Got my cycling gear on... Took it off and got the bus... Too much beer for the guts this weekend and didnt fancy it.

Too strong a westerly wind for it to be enjoyable for me, I'm afraid.
Plus I'd cleaned the bike over the weekend and it was "p"ing it down in Leeds this morning which meant I might as well not have bothered. :sad:

BSRU

A Human Being
After spending a week of being outside in the cold, wet and wind digging up an overgrown allotment, this morning I woke up feeling pain in muscles I never knew I had, so drove in to give myself a days rest.
Although I do feel guilty, wishing I had ridden in I know my body will thank me tomorrow when I get back in the saddle.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
After spending the past couple of weeks riding every day (except one journey home on the office scooter) I was forced to be "off" the bike last wednesday...due to old age!

Shan't be riding for the next week or so

My bike is stranded downstairs, looking at me every morning and evening, calling to me.

GRRR

ACS

Legendary Member
Shattered the rear derailleur hanger on my commuter yesterday morning throwing the rear derailleur into the back wheel breaking two spokes. The unexpected emergency stop and the sudden loss of resistance on the pedals resulted in me hyper extending my right calf. Knew I was in deep trouble when I heard it go 'pop.' Pain deep inside the muscle just below the back of the knee joint. As Mrs Brown would say "Its fec*ered."

Holdsworth

Über Member
Not commuting today as I have the day off but yesterday I had the dreaded sinking feeling in the back tyre a mere 3 minutes from home, a lovely shard of glass had made its way through a cut and punctured the tube. I was forced to replace the tube at the roadside in heavy drizzle. It made me 15 minutes late for work in the end but the manager was understanding, thankfully :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lie in today - off work all week. Whoop ! Not seen a bike since last Thursday lunch - the horror.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Day off here too - took bike to LBS to secure and re-allign front mech and replace gear cables after I spent yesterday buggering the whole thing up trying to fix it. To be fair the bolt securing the mech to the frame had sheared but still think I need a basic maintenance course! Back to the commute tomorrow though to test my right knee that has started making a weird cracking noise. Shame the lbs couldn't sort that out as well.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
yep commuted in today although i did think twice because rain is forecast for homeward journey .......quite pleasant albeit a little cold.......no mishaps and may well have had a tailwind as i reckon i may of beat my best by a minute or so (not checked the Garmin properly yet as i am on my lunch break :addict: ).....to say the roads were quiet i still had a bus pass too close for comfort :cursing:

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Back to work this morning after the holiday weekend, soaked to the skin. The wife phoned around 09:00AM to say it was snowing back home. Wearing all the winter gear again. :wacko:

anyuser

Über Member
Grrr, came off this morning on those smooth cobbles they put on junctions now. Too wet, going too fast on corner totally my fault. Helmet has cracked in 2 places so replacement ordered. No other damage apart from a stiff neck. Managed to retrue the front wheel and straighten the brake/shifter levers but the rear der cable is ruined so it is one gear going home tonight :sad:.

Edge705

Blown all over the road today here on the north west coast quite difficult keeping a straight line more of a horror commute for cars trying to avoid me than the other way round its one way of getting a wide berth:tongue:

Top Bottom