commute race idiocy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
as i was coming home along the middlewood way (one of those reclaimed train track cycle/walking paths), i slowed down to (vocally) warn of my presence to a group of people walking across the path. they were already moved over when, as i passed them, i heard someone's bell pinging at me.

i took a quick look to see a chap on a mountain bike behind me. so, being on a road bike, in racing cleats, thought it better to get a move on rather than have him go past only for me to overtake again.

anyway, off i go. a little way further on the track crosses a road with a pelecan crossing. i unclip and press the button to cross, he (having caught up as i was stopped) raced across without stopping on red. he got about 200m ahead as i clipped back in and negotiated the mini sheffield stands that stop you pedalling through.

of course i caught and passed him again, and sure enough he jumped lights to get ahead again, while i caught and passed him yet again.

if it was you, don't be an idiot and pick a race with someone with skinny tyres, a road frame and racing cleats when you're on a mountain bike with knobbly tyres and flat shoes. not if it means so much to you that you'll kill yourself trying… ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I wouldnt worry about him. He'll be road kill and theres nothing you can probably do to stop it. A lost cause imo

You know just because we are cyclists we are not a super race and there are bound to be a few dicks like what I have met this week,just like car drivers and peds.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
fossyant said:
Middlewood way with a road bike ????? It it a muddy bog like at my end of it ?

i only do the bollington to macc stretch, which is path apart from about 20 metres of hard packed mud near tescos.

i did a family club run along the muddier bit with one bloke on a road bike with 20mm tyres!

Top Bottom