Commuting Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I currently have a hardly used GT Transeo 4 hybrid which I have put some slicker tyres on plus a Giant Rock Mountain bike, again hardly used with slicker tyres on. I have not ridden for about 18 months and both bikes are in immaculate condition.

I used to ride the Hybrid on the road for general leisure/fitness riding and the mtb only for rides with my partner around the trails in places like Delamere Forest - not too rough stuff really and only got the MTB as was not sure of the hybrid would get trashed doing that.

I have just got a new job which I can now commute to and my gut instinct is to use my hybrid for this as I can fit a rack to it. Ideally however i'd like to upgrade the bike a bit and (completely ideally) have just one bike that will suit both of the purposes listed above. I have looked at the Kona range of City/Hybrid bikes such as the Dew range and note that they have disc brakes - would these be suitable for commuting AND the kind of off road stuff I described earlier?

My main concern is the commute as I want something agile enough and fast enough to commute on - guess I want the best of both worlds from one bike really - is a hybrid (including my current one maybe) up to both?

Hope that makes sense - all help appreciated. Am looking forward to finally being able to commute to work - 25 miles a day and i am hoping to get fit and lose weight too. :wacko::biggrin:

Cheers

Paul

I can't remeber if the Kona Dew fits into that range but some of the Flat Bar Road bike are very agile and are still practical, the ones that spring to mind are the Specialized Sirus and the Marin but there's plenty of other makes.

Alternatively go for dropped bar much more efficient IMO for longer distances.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Thanks. I'd be loath to take those off road though to be honest. I guess I am after a bike fast enough for the road and sturdy enough to take on trails, canal paths and forest trails really without it being hammered too much.

Cheers

Paul

Norm

The word "hybrid" (I still dislike that word) means little outside a marketing department, as it can cover anything from a flat barred racer with lightweight components, race geometry and collapsible wheels to an MTB with road tyres, chunky frames with disc brakes and possibly even front suspension. From the requirement to do trails, I'd say you should be looking at a "hybrid" which is more towards the converted MTB than the converted road bike.

For example, this comparison came up recently. All three are marketed as "hybrids" but they range from a rigid mountain bike with road tyres in the Specialized Crosstrail to the Charge Mixer, which would be pretty fragile away from tarmac, IMO.

If you are looking at something like the Kona Dew Deluxe, though, that should be ok as long as you don't plan on anything too rough away from the tarmac.

But, to follow on from HLaB's comment, if most of your riding is on tarmac rather than trails, I would (I did!) consider a cyclo-cross styled bike.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I like steel cyclocross stylee as an option, I use a Surly Crosscheck frame as a commuter. But this is a bit more relaxed than a full on X bike, it's designed and sold with versatility in mind.

Of the Kona range I'd rate the Smoke, with the 700c wheels as the best commuting option. It's pretty much a 29er MTB without suspension, but comes with guards. It's also rim brakes which I prefer because I know how to maintain them.

Top Bottom