Commuting Light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

georgiebuzz

This is my first post on this forum so I would just like say hello to all my fellow spandex sufferers, but as you would probably expect I have a question. I wish to commute to work during the winter months (times as early as 5am or as late as 10pm) down some unlit, if not country roads. My question is has anyone got any recommendations as to what type of light is the best to see and be seen. My journey is about 10 miles each way.

levad

Veteran
AY-UP Roadie kit does me just fine. Had it about two weeks now and I think it is fantastic.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
For to be seen. I have two cateyes on the front, they are good to be seen but not so hot on the seeing. The more expensive cateyes that take 4AAs are pretty good seeing with e.g. cateye el-530 and el-320. If you have serious money perhaps go for rechargable double/triples from various makes. A mate has a el-300 that is pretty good to see with although not so great to see.

Mr Phoebus

For a rear light, you can't go far wrong getting a 'Smart Super Flash'.
Once fitted, you'll notice a large number of cars giving you a much wider berth. :angry:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you need to see on dark lanes, then you'll need some fairly ferocious lights. Something like Fenix L2D, or the Tescos 3W equivalent which is much cheaper. I have two Fenix P3D (nearly the same light), and that's enough to see extremely well.

marinyork said:
For to be seen. I have two cateyes on the front, they are good to be seen but not so hot on the seeing. The more expensive cateyes that take 4AAs are pretty good seeing with e.g. cateye el-530 and el-320. If you have serious money perhaps go for rechargable double/triples from various makes. A mate has a el-300 that is pretty good to see with although not so great to see.
I have an EL-530 and an EL-320 on the front of my bike. I've done a few night rides down unlit lanes and my commute takes me through a short section of wood (~ 400 yards) which isn't very well lit. :becool:

I can see where I'm going with them well enough, but I know there are better (basically, brighter) setups out there so if you're going to do lots of night riding you might be better off shelling out a bit more cash than I did.

I might supplement my setup with a helmet mounted EL-410 (is that the right number?) so as to be able to see round corners in the woods .. the bar mounted ones can't point round corners before you start to turn, for some reason!! :biggrin: Does anyone have any experience of those? How heavy are they, etc.

(Sorry to hijack your thread). :laugh:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Those Cateye lights are like dim candles relative to the Fenix and Tesco torches.

jimboalee

Country lanes. Spend some money and see where you're going.

I have a Ring Cybalite 5W LED. As a comparison, think of a small motorcycle.

2 sets of NiMh, one in use and one on charge.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Make sure you have a backup light - do a SEARCH on here and you'll see loads of views.

For dark/unlit lanes you need something bright, LED torches are good, Fenix best, but do ensure you have some sort of backup if the batteries fail.

Dedicated road lights are very good, but a bit expensive.

My commute is lit main roads - 2 x Cateye EL510's front, 1 x Tesco 3w LED torch on front, Cateye LD600 rear, Blackburn 3.0 rear, Blackburn 4.0 1watt rear (still on back order........). Plus flashers on my rucksack.....think Blackpool Illuminations.....

Top Bottom