commuting to work

what should I do about biking there?

• walk the first day and ask (40 mins)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ring the person i'll be working under and ask if there's space for my bike

• just bike it and hope there's somewhere to put my bike

• bike it and lock up to any random railings and hope its there at the end of the day

• buy a single day's insurance on my fiancee's car and drive the first day

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
well, i've got a tempary job while i find one related to my degree which is close enough to bike to (took 15 mins last night getting back when i went to see where it was) the trouble is, its in a small industrial unit on a small estate of industrial units so, what do I do about biking there?

poll should be attached.

thomas

the tank engine
Cycle through it :ohmy:? What would the options be?

OP
OP
Black Sheep
i've been down, they'll be closed over the weekend.

there isn't anywhere obvious to lock my bike up other than some industrial fence, and it'll be outside of the group of industrial units on the pavement, worried it might get pinched or bashed by a maneuvering van

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Phone them up and ask?

thomas

the tank engine
Black Sheep said:
i've been down, they'll be closed over the weekend.

there isn't anywhere obvious to lock my bike up other than some industrial fence, and it'll be outside of the group of industrial units on the pavement, worried it might get pinched or bashed by a maneuvering van

I don't think a maneuving van will pinch it :ohmy:....I wouldn't want to leave my bike locked up somewhere like that.

*goes to look at poll now*

thomas

the tank engine
okay, i voted for phone up. I'd go for a recky though!! Otherwise I'd drive - nice to not be all hot and flustered on your first day anyway.

grhm

Veteran
I'd ring and ask. There might be space inside - e.g. under the stairs etc.

Failing that I'd either just bike and hope, or walk and reccy for the future.

It also depending on how far it is and whether you can cycle slow and gently enough to arrive in work clothes without needing a shower (I always end up pushing myself and arrive sweaty). I've only ever worked in two industrial units - one was old had no cycle rack near by, the other was on a new built estate with a large cycle rack/shed/compound thing in the car park - both however had showers.

N1ck

I wouldn't cycle on the first day, I would ask when being shown around on the first day, if there are facilities for cycle parking and if they have showers and lockers.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
the size of the unit would imply that there aren't lockers,

its only a 15 min ride at a steady pace so I won't be sweaty - just done a 10 miler in 37 mins and only just started breaking a sweat when racing against two other cyclists.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
well, I walked today and will be biking tomorrow :biggrin:

think i might just try cycling in my work trousers and changing my top when I get there.

Top Bottom