Commuting with Children

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rozza2012

Regular
Hi,

I am new to all of this commuting by bike etc. I decided to buy myself a cheap bike and cycle to work as my car insurance has doubled. My journey is approx 1 mile to the nursery and 4 miles after that to work. The 2 times ive gone so far have been ok (altho please tell me it will get easier lol)

I have bought one of these (i know its nothing special but hopefully it will keep me going for while)
Trax TXC.1 Mens Mountain Bike 2011 - 19"

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_809257_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

I have also bought a front child seat so that i can take my 4 year old to nursery, altho I have managed to fit the seat to my bike its not very good because the top tube is not round. I dont suppose anyone has any other suggestions or any other way of attaching a front seat? (prefebly removeable as my current one is fixed.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Child-Bik...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item5ade11e2a2

Thanks for any suggestions
Paul

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seat's on the back - much better, and they pop off the bracket in seconds so you can leave that at the nursery.

PS make sure you keep on top of maintenance and oiling that Trax, they are rather pants. If you abuse it, it will fall to bits. Oh and check the bolts are tight if Halfords did the build.

OP
OP
R

Rozza2012

Regular
Yeah can leave it at his nursery.

Wasnt sure how easily they are to take off. Hes not that big or heavy. Was just thinking it would add alot extra weight.

sabian92

Über Member
I'd avoid relying on Halfords for everything - they're not a bike shop, they're a shop that happens to sell bikes and as such tend to be monkeys with spanners - not proper bike mechanics. They claim they employ "experts", who are actually 16 year old muppets who'd rather half arse a job than be on the dole.

OP
OP
R

Rozza2012

Regular
that might be settled then...

I will look at getting a Hamax Kiss (cheapest ive seen is acctually £49.49 from halfords or £49.99 from J E James)

Then I will get a trailer for when i want to take both kids. My other child is just over 1 btw.

Thanks for all of your help

OP
OP
R

Rozza2012

Regular
Sorry 1 last question, is it possiable to have a rear seat (hamax) and a trailer?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Another vote for the Hamax Kiss here. It even fitted my triple triangle GT MTB frame. I wouldn't be sure of putting a 4 yr old in it though, I reckon I stopped using ours at around 3 to 3½ yrs.

In this picture my yougest son is nearly 1 while the oldest is exactly 4 and riding his own bike for around 10 miles at a time.
kidhelmet2.jpg

If I was going to manage without a car I wouldn't hesitate to get a trailer for the kids as it would also be useful for 100 other things including hauling the weekly shop!

Aiden_23

[QUOTE 1733046, member: 45"]Decent front seats are ok up to a certain size, then you start pedalling like a frog. If your other one is small, then I can recommend this-http://www.weerideuk.co.uk/.

Trailers are easy to take on and off.[/quote]
I bought one of these last year and tore my thighs and knees to pieces(I have pretty large legs).They give you a guarantee that it will fit your child up to 4, my son is nearly 2 and I dont think he will be fitting in it for much longer!!!:idea: where did I put that receipt????:cry:

Top Bottom