Commuting with Children

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Rozza2012

Regular
I wouldn't be sure of putting a 4 yr old in it though, I reckon I stopped using ours at around 3 to 3½ yrs.
Thanks for all your help. I will get a Hamax Kiss. My 4 year old is very small for his age and skinny.

Boxed weight claims to be 30KG!
Yeah, I asked them about that and they have said it is 20kg. Given the price difference it didn't sound that bad???

I don't know how that fixing really works? Year back I got a similar one for a kid about the same age (also not a big lass). Mine attached to the seat post though - but it swung so wildly it made me feel VERY unstable. It swung with little'un and for every bump on the road.

After a little reluctance (and a bit of fuss on my part - as in "This is not fit for purpose" in raised tones) the shop took it back. I replaced it with one that also had stays down to the axle - much more stable (but I didn't have an MTB).

Only you know the 4 year old in question and what they are capable of, but one thought is the future.

A seat is only going to be short term, and whilst a trailer will be a longer term investment you are only talking a couple of years before the position becomes cramped and difficult.

A trailer bike, if they can manage it has a long potential use, and also means that the child tales an active part, but can coast if they are tired.

Often cheaper than a trailer as well!

ditto1.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rozza2012

Regular
Cheers for all the advise, I've bought a Hamax seat. its very good.

going to order one of the trailers I mentioned above.

Anyone know wjere i can get a spare back wheel attachment?

Luv Handles

The Hamax are good products but an even better designed one and better looking is made by Bo-Bike. We sell the brand here at our London boutique and they have front and rear options. For front your best to keep it young ( up to 3 years ) and then transfer them to the back as mentioned in previous posts. The weight is better in the rear anyways for handling on the road and reacting to any potential danger that you may encounter.

I think this brand is the best on the market.

I dont suppose anyone has any other suggestions or any other way of attaching a front seat? (prefebly removeable as my current one is fixed.)

Don't try duct tape ;)

OP
OP
R

Rozza2012

Regular
I bought myself one of the Hamax Kiss seats and one of the cheap bike trailers from amazon.

The Hamax seat is very good, detaches very easily and is stable with my 4 year old on. My little girl has been in the seat and loves it too.

The trailer is very good value for money. I've managed to buy an extra bike attachment so that I can attach the trailer to either trailer.

I've cancelled the car insurance today so its biking from hear on out lol. Cycled 66 Miles over the past 2 weeks.

Thank you for all of your advise...

Top Bottom