Commuting without breakfast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Sounds like a good way to put yourself through unnecessary misery! Probably bad for your body too --- can you imagine how low your blood sugar levels are going to go?

I absolutely hate it when I ride without fuel in my body - every pedal stoke is a gruelling, unenjoyable struggle.

Why on earth anyone would actually want to put themselves through that is beyond me!

Surely the primary purpose of cycling is for fitness and enjoyment ... not masochism!

There are FAR better ways of loosing weight - go and see a nutritionist if you want help - I did and it worked for me.

SimonC

XmisterIS said:
Sounds like a good way to put yourself through unnecessary misery! Probably bad for your body too --- can you imagine how low your blood sugar levels are going to go?

I absolutely hate it when I ride without fuel in my body - every pedal stoke is a gruelling, unenjoyable struggle.

Why on earth anyone would actually want to put themselves through that is beyond me!

Surely the primary purpose of cycling is for fitness and enjoyment ... not masochism!

There are FAR better ways of loosing weight - go and see a nutritionist if you want help - I did and it worked for me.

Maybe;)

Training without eating first is a way of training body to burn fat more efficiently as a fuel rather than carbs, whether its relevant to the level of performance of most members on here is another question!

Suppose that goes back to the quote about fitness and enjoyment rather than over analysing the whole thing! For me, I wouldnt go out on an empty stomach, not even the ride to work, not one of these people who can skip breakfast.

jimboalee

Its called "Fasted lipolysis".

In fact, it is better for the body because last night's dinner has been absorbed and is ready for use.

Sugary cereals give a 'Hike' in blood sugar levels, followed by a 'depletion low'. That is bad.

XmisterIS

Ah!

(waggles cursory finger in the air)

That depends on what you eat at night! It's better to eat a light dinner early enough that it has been well-digested before you go to bed.

It is perfectly correct to say that sugary cereals (or sugary anything) give a blood-sugar spike followed by a dip.

The best way to eat is to avoid anything with refined sugar and refined carbs.

For breakfast, I have a banana + porridge oats without sugar - the oats combine with the sugar in the banana to form a complex carb that provides blood sugar slowy, thereby avoiding the spike/trough that makes you feel hungry and lacking in energy - I can go for miles and miles on that particular concoction!

Also, fresh fruit, raw nuts and as much raw veg as possible are important, with brown rice or wholewheat pasta. Mostly vegetarian food with a bit of good quality meat thrown in. And lots of fish.

Plus no alcohol, late nights or cigarettes or anything like that. No fizzy pop, no cakes, no crisps, etc.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
XmisterIS said:
Ah!

That depends on what you eat at night! It's better to eat a light dinner early enough that it has been well-digested before you go to bed.

It is perfectly correct to say that sugary cereals (or sugary anything) give a blood-sugar spike followed by a dip.

For breakfast, I have a banana + porridge oats without sugar - the oats combine with the sugar in the banana to form a complex carb that provides blood sugar slowy, thereby avoiding the spike/trough that makes you feel hungry and lacking in energy - I can go for miles and miles on that particular concoction!

Also, fresh fruit, raw nuts and as much raw veg as possible are important, with brown rice or wholewheat pasta. Mostly vegetarian food with a bit of good quality meat thrown in. And lots of fish.

Plus no alcohol, late nights or cigarettes or anything like that. No fizzy pop, no cakes, no crisps, etc.

No fun, no point living..........:smile:

XmisterIS

Lol!

I used to think like that until I tried it!

Now I spend my evenings in meditation with The Collective (we are the Borg, resistance is futile) ... Unity through Obedience ... Power through Unity ... Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer! ...

*ahem*

I am, of course, joking :ohmy:

Each to their own ... I don't do the crisps/chocolate/etc anymore because once I was a fat (and I mean hyooge!) knacker who smoked 20 a day and drank for England. I kind of overdid it somewhat! :smile:

jimboalee

XmisterIS said:
Ah!

All liberally basted with a block of best quality salted butter.

Jake

bowl of cornflakes and no added sugar juice. Find it hard going and have no energy, but hope its burning fat off

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I get up do my commute then sit at my desk for a couple of hours and then I have my breakfast. In fact I am just about to tuck in now to a cup (we haven't got bowls at my office) of Kellog's "Just Right" cereal.

Is that bad?:smile:

I'm really dense about such things? My commute is not very strenuous and is mostly slightly downhill on the way in. On the way home I won't have eaten anything since 2pm (my homeward journey is 5pm) and it is all slightly uphill and a bit of a struggle. I then won't eat until about 7.30.... sometimes if hubby is cooking as late as 10pm!

potsy

Rambler
On my early start week I leave the house about 4.50am so really can't face eating anything before I go,but I'll have a banana or some other fruit about 30 mins after I get to work.
Must admit though I find it harder going than when I commute in the afternoon after a decent breakfast/early dinner.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
joebe said:
I never eat before the ride in, then at my desk I go for it in style. This morning was 1 whole freshly baked baggette with jam.

+1

The whole 2ft-long French stick ? Blimey !!

I have a glass of fresh orange before cycling in to work at 6am (because I'd throw up if I ate anything so soon before cycling). Once I get to work I have a large tea and a bowl of Weetabix, and that sees me through to lunch.

Top Bottom