compact chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luke's fleche

any body got any advice on compact chainset as I am thinking of investing in one. I have an orbea fleche with carbon forks which are extremely light but a realy heavy chainset and it just feels odd

I am thinking of paying about 150-200 quid

Dave5N

Über Member
Not for racing in England, unless it's very hilly.

Alves

OK, here's for a controversial viewpoint.
I had a compact chainset once. I didn't like it. The 50 ring was too big for cruising at 12 to 18 mph (where I spend most of the time) and the 34 was too small. I was constantly changing my front mech instead of the rear mech and ended up in unfavourable chain lines etc.
A 40t front ring is ideal and I spend 75% of the time on this ring. I also need a smaller ring for hills. Therefore, a triple is ideal for me and though its unfashionable, it is really the obvious choice for a non racer in a hilly area. Don't dismiss it if you're only moderately fit, chronologically challenged or live in a hilly area.

I find 50T with 10 gears is great for general riding but a bit too small for some rides. I hardly ever touch the 34T on most rides although it is a great back up for steep climbs. Gearing wise I prefer my winter bike with a 30-49-52 triple, most times I never use the 30 but the 49-52 is a far better mix IMO, unfortunately its only got 8 gears :-(

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here is another view point.......... I have a 53 x 39 double chain set, I live near the Pennines, but don't need more than 39 x 21....

Point is, we all have different needs..... if you think a compact might help, then get one, but look at a gear calculator (just google it) and it will give you an idea of what you might need.... - i.e. if really struggling on what you have, see what a compact gives you..?

How do you know you have a heavy chain set...? That doesn't help climbing...... Body weight and fitness.... that's it.... chain set...oh maybe 1 second or two...drop a load of flab...or get fit.......oh.... minutes........

PS I run top end stuff and mid range stuff. The top end is better as the 'whole package' is better..... can't really say how much an improvement a single part might make...

Do not get sucked in by marketing rubbish.........

jayce

i live in a very hilly area i have 53-39 and rear 12 -25 i find it fine dont like the idea of a compact it makes that much easier to pedal so top speed will be compromised but if you feel you would be better off with one get one because you goto ride it fella

ajb

As said above, it's a very personal thing,
I ride a triple, 50-39-30 with a 12-27 cassette,
I,m not embarresed to say I use every gear at some point.
I ride with people who ride a standard 52-39 and can ride
with them all day, it's down to what suits you.

Alan.

ajb

Code:
Not for racing in England,

Why,s that then ?????
My son races on a compact and only just failed to get his
cat 2 licence last season. Road racing aint all about
flat out speed is it.
He was in groups that made a break and stayed there,
He made breaks on his own and stayed there, all because
he rides what suits him

Alan.

Dave5N

Über Member
As you said, it's all down to what suits you. Personally I think 34 x 25 or 23 is a small gear for normal racing in England unless it's very hilly. As I said.

If a compact works for your son, great and the very best of British to him.

Mortiroloboy

tundragumski said:
I wouldn't go anywhere near jejames.co.uk!

Why's that? are they unreliable or something? You had a bad experience of JEJames? Do tell.

I have used Merlin before when I got my Veloce Groupo £225!:smile:

Top Bottom