Compact or not??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
I'm researching hard trying to decide which road bike to buy after riding a hybrid for a long time.

Right here goes (bit green sorry!), I cant push a big gear I'm much more a high cadance rider, I love to climb and when I do I'm out the saddle all the time, this is how I like it and will always ride. I'll use my smallest front ring (triple) to climb the steep hills around the Stroud area.

Now on my new bike I know know the standard double will be too high a gear for me to push so do I go for a triple or will a compact suffice :wacko: I have no problem with how I'll appear with a triple if this is the right set up for 'me' then so be it.

I've just done a 9 day LEJOG and plan to have a bash at the Etape next year so I want to make the right choice when I buy.

Do many bikes come with a triple as standard or should the compact be suitable?

(I'm off to the shed to check what set up I've just ridden for 900 miles.............I'm ashamed to admit it!!!)

I'm researching hard trying to decide which road bike to buy after riding a hybrid for a long time.

Right here goes (bit green sorry!), I cant push a big gear I'm much more a high cadance rider, I love to climb and when I do I'm out the saddle all the time, this is how I like it and will always ride. I'll use my smallest front ring (triple) to climb the steep hills around the Stroud area.

Now on my new bike I know know the standard double will be too high a gear for me to push so do I go for a triple or will a compact suffice :wacko: I have no problem with how I'll appear with a triple if this is the right set up for 'me' then so be it.

I've just done a 9 day LEJOG and plan to have a bash at the Etape next year so I want to make the right choice when I buy.

Do many bikes come with a triple as standard or should the compact be suitable?

(I'm off to the shed to check what set up I've just ridden for 900 miles.............I'm ashamed to admit it!!!)

Depends where you are and what the terrain around you is like.

I have recently come from a hybrid with 32t\26t minimum gearing and found some of my local hills 'challenging'. I now have a compact double 25t\34t but am finding even the tougher hills around this area easier, even with the higher gearing.
I put it down to lighter weight and a better riding\climbing position on the road bike.

Judging by the 9 day LEJOG, a 25\34 compact double would give you plenty enough gear range.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks 2loose, how close are the lowest gears between a triple and a compact? I know this is a very 'crude' question but the numbers dont mean anything to me. Would they be similar gears to turn?

On my triple I like to ride I like to climb on the small front and the 3rd smallest at the rear (Stroud has shortish but steep hills, not the gentle 6 - 8%, more like 12-16% which I enjoy.)

Oh and I dont want to be pushing my bike on the Etape!!

Thanks 2loose, how close are the lowest gears between a triple and a compact? I know this is a very 'crude' question but the numbers dont mean anything to me. Would they be similar gears to turn?

On my triple I like to ride I like to climb on the small front and the 3rd smallest at the rear (Stroud has shortish but steep hills, not the gentle 6 - 8%, more like 12-16% which I enjoy.)

Oh and I dont want to be pushing my bike on the Etape!!

There is a great gearing calculator at Sheldon Brown's website =- you just put in the number of teeth on the chain wheels and then pick the rear cassette that mostly matches yours. Select gear inches and click calculate for the results.

My mtb third cog would be about 25t at a guess, which would suggest that the road bike should be about a fifth harder to pedal up the same hill. In reality it just travels a fifth further for each turn of the pedals, the weight and riding position compensate quite a lot more than I expected.

If you are concerned about not having a low enough gear, then go for a triple. Even better, see if you can get a try out on a compact double and take it up a familiar hill - you may be surprised.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Yeah - I'm going to ask to take a compact out for a spin before I buy, Like you say the lighter bike and better position should compensate for the slight difference.

Thanks again

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Try the gear calculator posted above.

You'll find a triple only gives a couple of extra gears over a compact double.

I have 2 compact chainsets and one standard 42/52 on my road bikes. You're only going to need a triple if you're carrying panniers. Anything else a 34/50 with a 12-25 or 12-27 cassette should be adequate.

Here are the ratios for my bikes:

Attachments

• Gear Ratios.doc
    76.5 KB · Views: 25

ammwhite

I recently had the same decision to make.

I have a Kona Dew Plus hybrid, which has a 28/38/48 triple and an 11-38 8-speed cassette.
I rarely used the smallest chainring, and even when I did, never had to go to the biggest cogs at the back.

When I recently bought my first road bike I ended up getting a compact double 34/50 with a 12-25 cassette.
So far it hasn't caused me any problems, and I've been up some of the toughest climbs in my area. However, I have been in my 34-25 gear for those climbs, so if I come across anything tougher (maybe Bealach na Ba or a trip to the Alps or Pyrenees) I might struggle!

I think most triples have a 30 tooth chainring, which isn't rally that big a difference to 34. You could always go 12-27, as there isn't much difference between 30/25 and 34/27.

Top Bottom