compatible batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Hello e_bikers.
I am considering converting my commuter bike using a wheel kit as sold on eBay. They don't seem to come with a battery so the question is do all batteries have the same plugs\ leads to connect to the controller box.
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I know very little indeed about electric bikes/batteries etc - but I know someone who might !

Calling @voyager ! :thumbsup:

Most e-kits do not come with batteries , 250w CONTINUOUS rating is the UK legal limit / 16.5 mph ( 15mph+- 10% )
The spec is "bent by some of the e-bike suppliers " since july the new bike specification is pedelec only without a throttle ..

BMS in china is one of the places I have used and Panda which is in in the UK and advertise on e-bay , Buy direct saves you a few pounds( as the prices add commission on ebay )
Panda sell batteries packs either rack mount or drinking bottle mounts . On the e-trikes we manufacture our own mounts to run along side the main boom .
generally the batteries are supplied with a short pair of cables to allow you to match the controller cables to the battery with eith a supplied socket of one of your choice , several units use "kettle lead " connectors whilst others use a more refined plug and socket .

There are several controllers for sale with LCD displays ( Panda sell one ) that allow you to bypass the ON-ROAD limit for off road use by software .

D8VEH on the pedelec site is one of the experts on e-power and has converted many bikes including raleigh 20's up to a 3000 w hill climb bike with 2 wheel drive .I have converted several bikes and e-trikes to e-power and after 4 years I have gained enough experience to play with them .

E-power is not a black art but does need looking into to get the best performance and range . We use both LifePo4 and Lithium Ion batteries and have dabbled with Lipo's as we use these in RC electric power model aircraft .

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS TO USE THE CORRECT CHARGER , some of these batteries can supply hundreds of amps of current for a short while and do go BANG and catch fire Life Po4 and Lithium ion are the safer types to use .
you are looking about £220 - £300 for a fair battery and a little less for a Kit -
Also a crank drive will give you a better range of power than a hub motor

regards emma

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Cyclotricity kits are good, we've got 2 of them. 1 on Maz's Dawes the other on my trike (both front wheel though)

trike 001.JPG

Technically a trike should have ALL 3 Wheels braked if electrified

I use BMS Q100 321rpm motors on a 20" wheel and 201rpm on a 26 " wheel

https://bmsbattery.com/

Note there are both disc and rim brake options available and it is cheaper to buy a hub/kit as carriage and duty is added to the price .

There are many kits available , I tend to buy the specific parts and " assemble my own "

regards emma

OP
OP
tommaguzzi

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Thanks for your replies especially you Voyager. Sheffield is very hilly but I don't need anything powerful just a bit of assistance to make my commute easier so I can be a little less sweaty when I arrive. It is only about 2.5 miles but has a couple of 12% climbs each way.
So 250w motor and a life Po4 or lithium ion battery and the correct charger. The battery is connected by any suitable plug. I am fairly mechanically skilled and don't see many problems converting my old Claud Butter commuter which I rescued from a skip.
If I get this done I will post an update.
Thanks again for you help.

Last edited:
Take a look at the 26"/700c xiongda HD 2 speed motor this is a rather clever unit as it uses "forward and reverses " the motor for a low gear ( 8 mph )with the controller set to 16mph it still remains "legal " and gives it a bit more edge .
I have one on my "voyager " trike with 2 x LifePo4 37v 10 ah batteries with a pedal able assist range in excess of 50 miles - trikes have more drag
it has 3 setting Low, Auto and High , its nice for those hills that don't like you

There is a write up in the recumbent section that I wrote last year

regards emma

In true blue peter fashion

Here is a pair that I prepared earlier , These e-trikes are coming up to their 3rd birthday this year .
The red one is using a q100 with modified controller fitted with a 11ah bottle battery while the blue one is running a standard Panda setup with a q100 motor and 9ah battery both have a range in excess of 25miles with level 3 assist , both have pedelec and throttle . use of the throttle reduces range .
The rear hub motors have a screw-on freewheel and disc brake fitted
The assist is used to climb the steep cliff face path you can see in the distance .
The build thread is also in the recumbent section
rottingdean.jpg

In the e-bike section there are a couple of e-bike builds of mine :- a BMX e-bike and a folding mamil eater folding shopper .

regards emma

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Nothing wrong with that, although you could buy a complete kit which would save connection faff.

If you do that, bear in mind you might want to shorten a cable or two if you want to make a neat job.

The battery in this kit is mounted on the down tube via the water bottle mounts,

They are barely strong enough, so may need some reinforcement.

Thick cable ties if you don't mind the look, or Rivnuts for a professional job.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

Top Bottom