compensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a colleague of mine was knocked off his bike by someone who drove off. from what i hear he's injured his back and i would assume that is spesh allez will have taken terminal damage as well.

is there any way he can get some form of compensation from the insurance companies, like you can if an uninsured driver hits you?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
alecstilleyedye said:
a colleague of mine was knocked off his bike by someone who drove off. from what i hear he's injured his back and i would assume that is spesh allez will have taken terminal damage as well.

is there any way he can get some form of compensation from the insurance companies, like you can if an uninsured driver hits you?

Does he not have any vehicle details?

Have the police been notified?

Does his house/domestic insurance cover him?

I don't think that there's a pot of money to be dipped to cover uninsured loss the insurance scheme that you've described above tries to recover the money from the uninsured driver.

There's no-one to claim against for your pal.

Noodley

fossyant said:
MIB will take along time - did he report it within 24 hours ?

The onus of the reporting is on the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle to provide details at the time of an accident to anyone having reasonable grounds for requiring (usually someone who has been injured or who has property damaged), or (and here's the bit everyone gets mixed up about) to a police officer as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any case within 24 hours.

Section 170 RTA 1988:
http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/rta170.html

So the driver is obliged to report, either at the time or as soon as reasonably practicable - if not then it's an offence. The 24 hours is the extreme limit.

Anyone else can report an accident at any time. There is no 24 hour limit.

Yours, ex-Mr Plod.

alecstilleyedye said:

Yes, this is usually covered under the MIB scheme, but extracting money from them is not easy. If he's interested, then PM the details and I'll pass it to one of my business partners who deals with that sort of claim.

Top Bottom