Compulsory cycle helmets - what's the proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have to be honest in that although I usually wear a helmet, I don't when popping down to the pub on my Brompton. That said, it is on the journey back when I am probably most likely to need one (although I am not in any shape or form paralytic) So therefore I am firmly against compulsion (and if they can't get people to use lights, what chance this?)

Bill

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
and the biggest question is, who will police it? The police are no where to be found now-a-days, unless you live in Westminster :tongue: Without going over topics yet again.. the ammount of drivers now going through red, illegal tinted windows, mobile phone usage etc, and that's just car drivers. Crime in general is growing becuase there's no police. So, who is going to be there to pull you over and say, where's your helmet boyo? However, if they do send squads out to target this law, they will turn around statistics and say they are solving more crimes, plus the fine income would go up. hey-ho

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There isn't any 'proof', there may be evidence one way or the other. It is a very poor choice of title.

The only thing that did annoy me from an excellent service in hospital after a black ice off was after I'd already gone through all my injuries and where I'd hit the floor they asked me whether I was wearing a helmet. They seemed to lack insight into the issue and want to promote ideological ideas even though this breaks EDR in hospitals. I've never had anyone in a hospital ask me whether I was wearing any elbow protection in winter. I'm guessing the plethora of people in there that morning who had fallen on black ice weren't asked whether they'd worn hand/elbow/shin/knee protection.

Jezston

Über Member
Old people should be made to wear rubber rings at all time. Think of the savings the NHS could make on hip replacement surgery.

pshore

The 'elf 'n' safety argument almost always wins out.

The trouble is, if quickly popping to the shop (as a normal person) are you going to:

1) grab your wallet and car keys, or are you going to
2) grab your bike lock keys, bag to carry shopping, helmet, coat, hi-vis.
3) grab keys, coat, bag and then walk.

Any small inconvenience, like a helmet is going to make people take the convenient option - the car. We have a problem even with getting people to walk to their local shop let alone cycle and that's one reason why obesity is here more than ever before.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru

The trouble is, if quickly popping to the shop (as a normal person) are you going to:

1) grab your wallet and car keys, or are you going to
2) grab your bike lock keys, bag to carry shopping, helmet, coat, hi-vis.
3) grab keys, coat, bag and then walk.

Any small inconvenience, like a helmet is going to make people take the convenient option - the car. We have a problem even with getting people to walk to their local shop let alone cycle and that's one reason why obesity is here more than ever before.

hmm not sure, they made us clunk click every trip. It's just one more thing picking up the helmet. At the moment it's all down to the individual what they want to do, you calculate risk (at the moment)

Norm

If that's the case, there should never be any further discussion about compulsion.

It has been shown (in Australia, for instance) that making lids compulsory reduces the number of people cycling which decreases the health of the nation.

That increases the costs of healthcare by far more than the cost of dealing with the additional injuries which may be caused by not wearing helmets.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
First thing i was asked when i had my hit and run was about me wearing a helmet.I do wear one every day but to be honest i do not like them and the only other use i can find for them is to strap a front and rear lamp to it and to keep the rain out of my eyes !

I ride a recumbent trike.

So I don't need a helmet for ..............
Stopping:- I cannot fall over and hit my head.
Ice, mud, greasy roads:- I don't fall off if I hit any, if anything it makes a ride more fun.
SMIDNSY:- I'm going to go feet first into the front/side of the car, not head first.

The only two times I can see I need a helmet is .........
If a car plows into the side of the trike and then I don't think a helmet will be much use.
If I over cook it on a corner and roll the trike and to do that needs speeds in excess of 30 mph, so again a helmet will probably be no use.

I use to wear one on the upwrong but I won't/don't need to wear one on the recumbent trike

Luck ......... :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
hmm not sure, they made us clunk click every trip. It's just one more thing picking up the helmet. At the moment it's all down to the individual what they want to do, you calculate risk (at the moment)

If you compare the typical trip to the local shops by car and by bike you'd typically get for the car:-
-car parking
-take keys
-if no car parking then just park illegally.

whereas by bike:-
-no cycle parking
-if no cycle parking lock it up to something a distance away that may or may not be convenient and secure
-take helmet, lock, bag (unless balancing these things on a rack or handlebars)
-light (at this time of year)

Ironically enough at all of my local shops you can actually park closer to the shops in a car than you can on by bike as people simply park illegally for a quick 2 min shop inside whereas you can't just thrust your bike on the pavement and leave it (you can but it won't be there very long).

Funnily enough as a cyclist who enjoys walking more than most I actually walk on most occasions, I only tend to cycle late at night when the security risk tips things significantly in the bike's favour. Convenience matters a great deal to cycling, the helmet is only one in a basket of issues that matters.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
I'LL be glad when they make in law and then we wouldn't have to put up with these silly helmet threads :whistle:

+1
whistling.gif

However, if UK was able to provide a high-quality cycle network as the one in Copenhagen, for example, I'd understand the no need for helmets.

I think the main problem here is not about helmet, cameras, number plates, etc but infrastructure for cyclist and a system designed to recognise cyclists and help people (inc. drivers) feel more comfortable about bicycle and traffic.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its looks an OK article covering some of the points but missing out several. So far as I can see it didn't cover the possible injuries caused by wearing helmets, poorly designed helmets, low helmet standards law, wearing them incorrectly (which a large number do), how often you need to replace them and how you would get the people who don't bother with seatbelts to consider helmets.

And the line that annoyed me...
Perhaps making cycle helmets compulsory will make people feel safer about taking up cycling?
or make them think it is more dangerous than it is.

By the way I'm a helmet wearer most of the time - but anti-compulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom