Compulsory Hi Vis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Very interesting.

yello

Not quite my understanding; compulsory at night yes but not in towns. There'd be uproar!

How good's your French....

Obligation pour tout cycliste circulant hors agglomération, de nuit ou de jour si visibilité mauvaise , de porter un gilet er rétro-réfléchissant à partir du 1 septembre 2008. L’obligation s’applique aussi au passager éventuel.

As I thought, not in towns at all but outside towns at night or poor visibility. AND for any 'passenger'!!

yello

In honesty, I'm not sure how many folk it will effect in practice. Cyclists outside towns at night are a rarity.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Sorry, but it seems like bad news to me.

It's forcing cyclists to protect themselves against dozy drivers, rather than forcing dozy drivers to look where they're BLOODY GOING! Presumably, French cyclists are already obliged to have reflectors and lights?

So there'll be more occasions when someone ends up saying, well, I'd cycle, but I don't have my hi-viz, so I'll just take the car.

And then do-gooder politicians will decide it's a good idea and the UK should do the same...

My concern is sort of personal. Groups riding at night in hi-viz is pretty horrible - you're dazzled by all these shiny stripes. Ankle bands are sensible, but jackets are a bit of a menace.

Jaded

Interesting.

Just as every Chevron sign on a sharp bend in an invitation for drivers to drive a bit faster, every hi-vis jacket is an invitation for them to look out less.

asterix

Comrade Member
yello said:
In honesty, I'm not sure how many folk it will effect in practice. Cyclists outside towns at night are a rarity.

Round here anything on the road at night is a rarity and also during the day on many roads.

MartinC

Über Member
I think we should start campaigning for Hi Viz on cars - case must be unarguable - if it's required for one type of road user then it must make sense for all.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
And then do-gooder politicians will decide it's a good idea and the UK should do the same...

I was with you right up to this bit - British politicians, admit the French have a good idea? I think we're safe from that....:wacko:

Top Bottom