Computer Crashed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My main computer (a Dell desktop running Windows Vista) is well and truly corrupted. I don’t know what happened because the kids were using it and they both blame each other. But the situation now is that I can only start-up Windows in safe mode. If I try starting up in normal mode, the machine crashes. Also, the display is corrupted right from the point of power up. I’ve tried a System Restore, but that doesn’t fix the problem, although that’s hardly surprising given that the display is corrupted before Windows even gets loaded. I’ve also tried running a fault diagnose and fix utility that came with my operating system disc and that didn’t sort the problem either. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Tap f8 at startup and when the boot menu appears then select boot into VGA mode and see if it will let you into normal mode.

............... Also, the display is corrupted right from the point of power up.
............ Any suggestions on what to do next?

Hit F6 or Del to get into the bios screen.
Is the disply corrupted ??

If it is then you probably have a hardware problem, not a software problem.
I would say a dead/dieing vid card.

Sometime soon I'm going to have to pull my vid card out on this computer, as all the colors displyed by it are wrong .......... :tongue:

Luck .......... :biggrin:

I was going to suggest a damaged video card but then this presumes the presence of a video card rather than a chipset built into the motherboard. If it's the latter then it might be damaged motherboard ram.
Is the display corrupted in safe mode ?

Sometime soon I'm going to have to pull my vid card out on this computer, as all the colors displyed by it are wrong .......... :tongue:

Quick update on mine.
My bad display was caused by a bad vid cable .......... :tongue:
At some point I must have knocked it when attaching the HDMI cable from the new dvd player.
Just replaced it with a spare and the display is back to normal.

Luck ............ :biggrin:

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Yes, the display is corrupted in safe mode.

The computer has a single 512mb NVIDA GeForce 8800GT card.

Oh well, guess I'd better drop off the computer at PC World then

Hmm first try removing the graphics card and reseating it and reattaching the power connectors (I'm assuming it has the 12v connector to the psu).
I would suggest going into the bios and checking the voltages are within 5% of their specified value but Dell have a tendency to believe that owners don't need to know when their psu is dying so not sure there's any such readings in the bios.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

It seems the NVIDA Graphics Driver has stopped working properly.

I'm downloading the latest driver from the NVIDA site and if that doesnt work I'll try removing the card.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Oh well, I removed / re-inserted the card and re-installed the drivers but the problem is still there. On the screen, the small horizontal lines form a couple of extra ghost images of everything.

If you still can't boot into normal mode then go into device manager and delete the graphics adapter then reboot.
Mind you if it's related to the drivers then it's a level below the nvidia ones as safe mode is strictly basic windows only drivers.
The horizonal lines suggest of duplication suggest a problem with the RAM on the graphics card.
I'm dubious about handing your PC over to pcworld. It's a bit like handing your bike over to halfords. Though I'm not sure that there are any competent repair types at PCWorld.

zacklaws

Guru
Has the motherboard got a built in graphics card? if so just remove your existing card, and plug the monitor into the video socket on your motherboard. You may have to make a change in the BIOS, but I am not too sure on that point as it may detect the monitor automatically. If that works then it will confirm your graphics card is US or has a software problem. If it does not work, then it indicates the problem is elsewhere.

Bman

Guru
Oh well, I removed / re-inserted the card and re-installed the drivers but the problem is still there. On the screen, the small horizontal lines form a couple of extra ghost images of everything.

As said before in this thread, I can confirm: If this is still happening at BIOS/POST, after checking cables and reseating the card, then your gfx card is on its way out. You will need a new one.

As said before in this thread, I can confirm: If this is still happening at BIOS/POST, after checking cables and reseating the card, then your gfx card is on its way out. You will need a new one.

...or your PSU isn't giving enough power to the card, or the motherboard is flaking out, or the motherboard CMOS battery is flat.
How old is the PC?

Top Bottom