Computer to fit my Dash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Now I've got the new trike, and I'm hooked on logging my miles, I'd like to fit a computer. With no suitable mounting point for the sensor on the front wheels, that I can see, I'll have to mount it on the back. Anyone got any idea if a normal computer cable is likely to be long enough, do any makes tend to have longer cables than others?

It's a Catrike Dash:

http://www.catrike.com/dash.htm

I realise that this question would be more useful if I had some idea of the measurement from rear wheel to handlebars, but I haven't got round to taking a tape measure to the lock up yet, it'll be the weekend before I can... Looking at the spec, it's 1600mm total length, and it looks like I need about two thirds of that (1100mm or so?). I can probably measure the cable on my computers on the Gal and FCR, but I don't want to undo them if I can help it...

So any guesses? I'm not looking for anything with too many bells and whistles, just basic functions...

Dan B

Disengaged member
The blurb on a cateye astrale 8 says "Wired transmission distance up to 55 inches or 140cm", so it ought to do the trick

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/253

Has cadence too. I've used them for years. I like them

THe quick and easy option is to go wireless, but Trikes have a problem with the fact that the front wheels don't allow easy fitting of a sensor and magnet

Catrike do a sensor mount that fits on the axle assembly:

catcompmount250.jpg

Easily bodged.......

However the alternative is a rear wheel fit - but as most wireless have adistance of about 70 cm, it is difficult to arrange. An option is to use an old "stubby bar end" and clamp it at the base of the handlebar below the brake, especially onthe non gear side, and mount the computer on this. Easily visible and allows the short distance to sensor required for wireless.

You can also look at a stem mounted system which will fit nicely on the free length of bar between headset and handlebar - again allows the short distance required for wireless.

The final wireless option is dependent upon your mirror - is that a Mirrycle?

If so a rubber bung with a hole (brewing shop) can easily be drilled and split to fit arund the horizontal bar of the Mirrycle to give a suitable radius and then mount the computer here

Apart from that the answer is to use a wired system on the rear wheel - you are probably right about the distance being OK for a although if in doubt Cateye does do rear wheel wiring kit

Personally I use a GPS - can be as cheap as a computer especially if you add on the cost of a second wiring kit...... but a whole new ball game. when it comes to fitting

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers, I'll look at the Astrale. I'm not too keen on wireless tbh - I've only ever had one and it wasn't reliable - I like the physical connection of a wire. I'm not too bothered about the cadence sensor either - would the rest of the functions work if I just didn't connect it?

Obviously, it'll be a good idea to just measure the thing to be sure, but looks like I have a couple of solutions. If it comes to machining bits and mounts, I'm ok, Velo Vision Pete has a shed full of lathe and milling machine...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You could buy a gps enabled unit like an Edge 500, quite expensive but no wires because there are no sensors, its all in the computer itself, simply attach it to wherever you want it, or on a wrist strap, and its transferable from one bike to the next (it comes with 2 mounts in the box I think and you can buy extras for a couple of quid) so you could use it on number of your bikes (not sure how many bike profiles it allows though). I think you can get one for like £180 without cadence or HR sensors. Also lets you plan routes and feeds breadcrumb trail to follow.

I haven't fitted one to the trike, I use a GPS unit, but the wired computers from Aldi's have been excellent. Not pretty but super reliable and extra long wires. And only £4.00! I have them on my DF and both Bacchetta's. I've never had a wireless unit that didn't occasionally drop signals (and data) due to external electrical interference.

Cheers

John

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, and it's also the only speed/cadence computer from Cateye that still comes with a separate speed and cadence sensor. All the rest apparently have a unified unit that relies being placed on the left rear chainstay of a conventional bike. Twunts.

n-ick

Yo, I got a 2nd hand Garmin Quest off of ebay for £60. This gives all your read outs, plus gps basic maps. It's waterproof, comes with a bike mount and simple press buttons. It's also so easy to use.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, but.... not keen on wireless if I can help it.

Did a rough measure yesterday with a bit of wire I found in the lock up (forgot my tape measure), and a generous estimate of the distance I need is 136cm.

Can I check again, if I get one with cadence sensing, which I don't really need, can I just leave the cadence bit unconnected, without affecting the other functions, or will it make the whole thing throw a wobbly....?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Arch said:
Can I check again, if I get one with cadence sensing, which I don't really need, can I just leave the cadence bit unconnected, without affecting the other functions, or will it make the whole thing throw a wobbly....?
Be very surprised if you couldn't - after all, it doesn't throw a wobbly when you're freewheeling and I don't see how it'd tell the difference

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Arch said:
Yes, but.... not keen on wireless if I can help it.

Did a rough measure yesterday with a bit of wire I found in the lock up (forgot my tape measure), and a generous estimate of the distance I need is 136cm.

I've had my (misbehaving) VDO C3DS changed by them for the newer X2DW ... and it says a max dustance of 60cm, which is something of a reduction.

You'll probably find that those computers which have a Cadence function have it as an additional sensor, which you don't necessarily have to purchase with the rest of the gubbins. In other words, the computer is capable of taking cadence readings, if a sensor is fitted. If not .... you've just paid for something you are not going to use ;).

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers, I'll look around a bit and see what there is. I really only want distance, speed, maybe ave speed, but that's it.

I did see that SJS have the cateye rear wheel fitting kit, and tat would work with the Velo 5 or 8, like I have on the Galaxy, so that might be the way to go, need to check the length of the kit again...

Argh! it doesn't say!

Anyone know how long this will be?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...Velo-1258--Mitty-38-and-HRM-169-6565-1269.htm

You'd think Cateye would have it on their bloody website, well I can't find it...

Top Bottom