Computer with cadence and altimeter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Hi - I'm donating my old Cateye Micro Wireless cycling computer to my girlfriend and would like to get something with a cadence sensor and altimeter/gradient, ideally wireless, though I did have the odd problem with the Cateye one recoding my max speed at over 80mph at times (I'm not that fit!), so would like something that's not too susceptible to interference (does "digital coding" help with this?). Don't think I need a heart rate monitor, though. Would be nice if it can be set to be viewable at night too...

Also, it needs to be able to fit on the stem rather than the handlebars - some don't seem to fit this way around!

Any recommendations? Was thinking of the £70-120 range... The VDO Z1 Altimeter/Computer (http://www.cycleparts.de/en/produkte/hoehenmessung/z1/funktionen/ ) looks good, is it? Any others I should be looking at, e.g. Sigma BC 2006 MHR: http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_wireless/bc2006_mhr/?punkt=features? I will mostly be using it for touring and audax/sportives...

The alternative would be to get a Garmin Edge 705, which would be great for touring but am assuming battery life is an issue with this unless can charge it from my Schmidt dynamo...

Thanks!

The Blackburn Delphi 6.0 (£75) it does all 3 (cadence, altimeter & HRM) might also be worth considering.

Edit I've no idea if it can be stem mounted but its a good deal, the almost identical Neuro can.

akaAndrew

The Edge is significantly more than your price range but it is an excellent bit of kit. There are a number of ways to charge it (some better than others) without the mains too. Charging off a hub dynamo is an option.

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
akaAndrew said:
The Edge is significantly more than your price range but it is an excellent bit of kit. There are a number of ways to charge it (some better than others) without the mains too. Charging off a hub dynamo is an option.

Really? Do you have any more information about charging the Edge without the mains (solar?), espc. via dynamo? Thanks! ;)

akaAndrew

Solar would work... if you were patient! There are several solar chargers (this Freeloader one for instance) but they take an age to charge up so, realistically,I don't think they're practical.

Battery chargers; I used this Geomadic charger on LEL recently - 5 days without a mains charger - and it worked just fine. It takes 4 std AA batteries (or rechargeables) and ran my 305 for 16 or 17 hours. There's also a 705 version (probably the same, I didn't look).

The hub charger option is, I think, pretty new. New to me at least. It's from an Australian company, PedalPower+, and details are here. It looks an interesting and viable option. I can't remember where I read of it but, as I remember, they're exhibiting at the BikeShow in Germany next month so hopefully someone from the UK will pick up on it and feedback.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I would go with the VDO Z1, it has digital wireless so no more of those recording a max speed at over 80mph at times...

Also if you don't need the mapping functions, there is no need to worry about recharging batteries all the time...

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
I agree the VDO Z1 is probably the computer that best meets my stated requirements, but, I'm actually now thinking of getting a GPS *and* a simpler cycle computer for everyday use and for when the GPS battery runs out. What's a good digital wireless (to avoid interference) cycle computer without altimeter/cadence? The cheap ZDO computers only seem to display km/h, which is annoying, unless I've missed something! Thanks

OP
OP
oxford_guy

oxford_guy

Über Member
Have been looking at the VDO X1DW cycle computer, which seems to be a good option for a basic computer with digital wireless, but, unless I'm missing something, this only displays speed and distance in kilometers, is that correct? in fact I suspect the Z1 is the same in this respect... ;)

oxford_guy said:
Have been looking at the VDO X1DW cycle computer, which seems to be a good option for a basic computer with digital wireless, but, unless I'm missing something, this only displays speed and distance in kilometers, is that correct? in fact I suspect the Z1 is the same in this respect... :smile:
Not according to the manual on their site:

Main Menu SET
Set menu: Confirm language and time, Select kilometers or miles
Set wheel sizes(either by Setting via wheelsizeschart or wheel-circumference ),
Do so for bike 1 and, if needed, for bike 2. Enter the total mileage of bike 1 and,
if needed, for bike 2. Use the keypad to enter the digits. If service interval
setting is needed, enter the interval-distance by using the keypad.

Crankarm

Guru
Polar or Cateye - V3?

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A0185

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Computers/

I have an all singing alll dancing Sigma computer. The clock loses several hours each day plus the temperature is way off and it keeps losing the cadence function. The HRM is surprisingly reliable given I thought it would be the Achillies heal. I have replaced the batteries and this has still has not solved the problems. I have contacted Sigma but they have not responded in 2 weeks. So much for their customer service. I looked at the Cateye V3 which I now wish I had bought instead as all the Cateye computers I have owned have been 100% reliable. Trouble is I lose them every now and again.

Top Bottom