Confused - creaks and clicks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm confused and need some advice please.

I have a bianchi via nirone with apex chainset, ceramic gxp type bb, fulcrum racing 5's and campag xenon rear mech/casette. I was getting a knocking/creaking sound when pressing hard on the pedals.

I changed the rear wheel back to the old ambrosio one and no clicking or creaking so changed the wheel bearings on the fulcrum.

Refitted and after a short while clicking again.

So I put the ambrosio back, with the same 10 speed casette that was on the fulcrum and no clicks or creaks.

But, and this is the confusing bit, I put the Fulcrum in my winter bike, with a mirage 9 speed casette and it doesn't creak or knock.

So what's causing it to creak and click when it's got the 10 speed casette fitted and in the bianchi and why doesn't it do the same with the 9 speed set up in the other bike?

Any thoughts?

Milo

Guru
Clicks and such can travel and sound like they are somewhere they are not. Thats not alot of help I am afraid.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I have had a click from the back due to oil etc getting on the drop outs so that the rear wheel was moving about very slightly.

Gave the drop outs and skewer ends a good clean with a scouring pad.

sbseven

It could be the quick release skewer on the fulcrums. Either the skewer creaking itself or in its interaction with the dropouts. Test by using the skewer from the other wheelset and see if the creaking goes away.

Top Bottom