Confusion about saddle position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right, this is probably a very numpty question, but hey...:becool:

After considering a new saddle for a while, I have recently seriously fallen out with my old one (serious case of chafing), so ordered a new one of the good old interweb. The decision was made in a rather strange way by eliminating all the saddles I could test and ordering one of the ones I couldn't, so no idea if it will improve things, but anything is worth a try to rescue my girlie bits!

To get to my actual question, according to the famous PH, the nose of my saddle was supposed to be 91mm behind the bottom bracket. So far so good, only problem is, the new one on order has a shorter nose! I'm sure PH told me what to do in this case, but I can't remember and I would be even more embarrassed to ring him than to post on here :ohmy:.

So, do I a) position the new nose 91mm behind the BB or do I :smile: account for the shorter length and shift is further back (think this would be about 20mm). I have a feeling the correct answer is b, but could someone please confirm it for me? :biggrin::blush:

Dave5N

Über Member
Try it ride it, move it as necessary.

It's where you sit that's important and has less to do with comfort that efficiency, as we tend naturally to move for comfort, unless we're Robert Millar or something.

jimboalee

The fore-aft position of your saddle.

Before anything else, get a spirit level and set the horizontal attitude by resting the spirit level from the nose to the very rear. It should be level.

Now set the height of the saddle. Straight up parallel with the centre of the seat tube.

Fix the saddle tight.
Set the cranks horizontal.
Sit on the bike with foot clipped into the forward pedal.
Drop a plumb line from the little bump on the side of your knee. The line should disect the pedal spindle.
You might be 5mm out, but that won't effect your ergomonics. -much :smile:

Good luck.

peanut

jimboalee said:
The fore-aft position of your saddle.

Before anything else, get a spirit level and set the horizontal attitude by resting the spirit level from the nose to the very rear. It should be level.

trouble is Jimbo that some saddles have a decided kickup at the back which means you can't use a spirit level :sad:
I adjusted my saddle yesterday by eye and the whole of the ride I realised I was pushing back on the saddle because I was sliding forward. It must be tilting forward but you can't see it by eye.:smile:

Like you say its best to match the height of your previous saddle first on the seat post. I normally get the post spot on then ease it out a little bit and mark with a indelible marker. Then push it back until the line is covered.

Then I take a allen key out with me on a ride. Every now and again I stop and adjust the saddle fore and aft a bit until its perfect. Then I mark the saddle rail.

Possum I didn't think there is a perfect saddle position behind the BB for every rider. I thought every rider's position on the bike was unique and different . The measurement gives you a starting point .

Jimbo I'm going to try the plumb bob tonight and see how accurately it mirrors my perfect saddle position found by 30 years of riding .

if you use a spirit level you have to make sure the bike, or the floor it's on are level before you start. i always do it by sight.

yello

piedwagtail91 said:
i always do it by sight.

Same here. The eye can be surprisingly accurate!

pp, how's about you fit the old saddle, position to 91cm to the nose then measure the distance to the saddle centre... or thereabaouts, then fit new saddle using the 'to the centre' measurement. It'll not be 100% accurate (because the saddles are different) but it'll give you a starting point.

Edit: I think I just said :smile: in a roundabout fashion!

punkypossum said:
So, do I a) position the new nose 91mm behind the BB or do I :biggrin: account for the shorter length and shift is further back (think this would be about 20mm). I have a feeling the correct answer is b, but could someone please confirm it for me? :bravo::blush:

Punky's trying to interpret the advice Given by Paul Hewitt in a fitting.

So you're trying to get the main bum bit in the same spot. Overlay the new saddle on the old one and compare. On the basis of that set it to a) or ;) and try it. You might find you're not actually sitting in exactly the same place on the new saddle as on the old saddle or it might demand you sit in a slightly different place because of itss shape. If you're having trouble with your old saddle then you are going to have to try a few different things whilst sticking to the spirit of the PH fitting.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Hmph...sounds like there is no straightforward a or b answer, more a case of faffing around and see what happens...oh well, would have been too easy otherwise I suppose.... :thumbsdown:

Crackle, I went for the charge ladle in the end following your recommendation, so it better be comfortable!!! :biggrin:

punkypossum said:
....Crackle, I went for the charge ladle in the end following your recommendation, so it better be comfortable!!! :biggrin:

:sad:

Fool, no-one follows my advice, you'll be the first :smile:. It'll be wonderful and if it isn't it'll be because you have a funny shaped arse which I couldn't have anticipated :ohmy::tongue:;)

peanut

jimboalee said:
Fix the saddle tight.
Set the cranks horizontal.
Sit on the bike with foot clipped into the forward pedal.
Drop a plumb line from the little bump on the side of your knee. The line should disect the pedal spindle.

Good luck.

good advice Jimbo . I've just tried the plumb bob test and it is spot on. I think most experienced riders probably find this point by feel and experience . It feels just right.:biggrin:

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
I know that works for men's saddles, but is that so for women too? I have seen some recommendations that women are better to have the saddle nose dipped very slightly.

peanut

ASC1951 said:
I know that works for men's saddles, but is that so for women too? I have seen some recommendations that women are better to have the saddle nose dipped very slightly.

no the saddle still has to be level or you'll be forever sliding forward whilst cycling.
Women's saddles are specially shaped to suit their pelvic width and soft bits etc

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Punkypossum
I'd go with the advice of laying one saddle on top of the other and figuring out roughly where your sit bones go, adhjust fore/aft to put your sitbones in the same area. Furthermore the height from rail to saddle top may also differ so you will need to adjust for that too. Prepare for a little tinkering. Use tape or a marker to note positions that you've tried.
Good bike fitting advice here...

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Crackle said:
:o)

Fool, no-one follows my advice, you'll be the first ;). It'll be wonderful and if it isn't it'll be because you have a funny shaped arse which I couldn't have anticipated :tongue::tongue:;)

Well, the new perch had its first outing today, and although it was only 40miles, so far so good - on the bones it is far more comfortable than the old one, and, so far at least, no chafing either. Looks like your advice is not that bad after all!!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom