Conscience!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I was offed on my way to work on Thursday by a moton who turned left immediately after overtaking me. Nothing serious, I wasn't hurt and as usual the driver just carried on without stopping. So in a fit of pique I chased them down right in to the car park of their office.

Pulling up along side the car in question I saw it was a woman driver and prepared for a right royal rant at her. And then stopped, thought better of it, fished around in my jersey pocket for my wallet, smiled and said, would you like to see a picture of my baby boy? I only ask as when you tried to kill me earlier I realised that due to your thoughtless driving he would never really know me! I see you have two baby seats in the back of your car so you must have children who must love you and who would miss you terribly if something happened to you!

And then...tears..gushing floods of tears. Boundless apologies and pledges to be more aware of cyclists.

This is the first time I haven't lost my rag and whilst I'm not proud of making the woman cry (I was mortified to be honest) the message may have got home this time.

domtyler

Über Member
Wow! :wacko:

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I'm kinda "life aware" at the moment. I drive more carfeuly, my climbing and kayaking is done in a more risk averse fashion and my riding is definately done with my ****wit radar turned on at all times. So any one that puts me at risk is want to get some sort of retribution for potentially messing up the new family Jiggery Pokery.

Mind you...I did say to Mrs JP that it was her turn to get up to see to "small boy" thismorning when really it was my turn...so I do still like living life on the edge:biggrin:

I have been pondering about a possible campaign. The campaign would have some high visibility posters TV ads etc along the lines of:

We are all someones son/daughter/mother/father/sister/brother and we'd like to see them again. This would be against images of cyclists on the road being endangered by other road users.

Then cyclists (if they wanted to) could take part in the campaign by getting a sticker for their back or rucksack which would have a small waterproof photo holder attached to it. There could be different versions of this, i.e.
This is my son...
This is my daughter...
This is my mum....

etc with the photo next to the words.

It would be followed by the words: I'd like to see them again.

It would humanise the cyclist. Anyone who would see it would find it difficult not to see them as a 'person'. It might mitigate some of the road rage.

Anyway, it's just an idea. I don't have a spare couple of million, but if anyone does you could always set it up.....:biggrin:

Cab

Brilliant. Might have to get a baby picture and print it out so that I can use the same trick.

Cab

All quiet, then...

...while in primary, looked left, looked right, car passed with space enough and then started pulling in and slowing down for a speed hump. Saw it had 'P' stickers, could see the driver was flustered, thought fine, he's seen me, knows what he's done wrong, let it pass; give a small amount of space and immediately regain primary.

Then a second car came alongside within inches, tried to pass, I yelled a warning, hit the next speed hump, and continued. Car was then stuck behind me, and I behind the 'P' car in front. Car behind couldn't pass, wasn't any point anyway, and then at the shops less than 100 yards further on theres a loud tirade of horn and abuse from car behind as she turned off to park at the shop; i.e. I hadn't held her up, she wasn't going anywyhere any faster if I wasn't there, I had simply p1$$ed her off.

I stopped, yelled 'What?', got more abuse 'in the middle of the f8kcing road', etc. 'My, we ARE an angry little idiot' was my response.

Continued on... Over the junction, onto the next speed humped road of irritationl, car parked on the right pulled out without indicating, I yelled, she looked shocked and shouted 'SORRY!'. Ok, mistake, but all she had to do was look.

Got to town, to a regularly bad bit where traffic my way had right of way, stopped for a bus that was coming anyway whether or not I had right of way, scratched head, the face of the bus driver and the abuse yelled through the window were both of a interesting shade of blue.

My experience is that there are 'angry spells' on the road, where for whatever reason there seem to be more people in bad moods. So from tomorrow, its back on with the helmet cam I'm afraid :biggrin:

Cab said:
My experience is that there are 'angry spells' on the road, where for whatever reason there seem to be more people in bad moods. So from tomorrow, its back on with the helmet cam I'm afraid :smile:

The problem is cab, you never know when these spells are due. That's why I always have the camera on.

Today was a joy, the roads were quieter for some reason and I flew in. Lots of positive interactions with other road users. Nice! :biggrin:

Cab

Catrike UK said:
So you are going to start collecting pictures of children on the internet??!!??:biggrin:

Thought I might instead use a picture of one of my nephews, for use in the kind of incident outlined in this thread. If thats okay with you.

Cab

magnatom said:
The problem is cab, you never know when these spells are due. That's why I always have the camera on.

Today was a joy, the roads were quieter for some reason and I flew in. Lots of positive interactions with other road users. Nice! :biggrin:

I'm basically lazy you see. Don't want to faff about with a helmet every day, or a helmet camera, or recharging batteries.

The idea of a child picture for dealing with, say, those (unrepresentative!) lady drivers today... Its inspired.

Top Bottom