Contador & Astana

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I have just seen a news flash on CNN (so probably not true) that Contador has hinted that he could leave Astana. Is this further fueling the idea that Armstrong will rejoin the ranks in that team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mondobongo

Über Member
Below is what Cycling News are reporting this morning.

Armstrong return would upset Astana apple cart

Alberto Contador (Astana)
Photo ©: Roberto Bettini Johan Bruyneel's new star Alberto Contador has admitted the return of former favourite Lance Armstrong to the Astana fold could hurt him. While Armstrong never rode for the current Astana squad, he was the major player in Bruyneel's US Postal and Discovery Channel teams, with the latter winding up its involvement at the end of last season.
"I think I've earned the right to be the leader of a team without having to fight for my place," Contador told AS. "And with Armstrong some difficult situations could arise in which the team would put him first and that would hurt me."
While Bruyneel's squad is remaining quiet on any future involvement with Armstrong, until he outlines details on his return to the sport, the team director has admitted it would be hard to imagine the former Tour de France champion returning to the sport with anyone else.
"The team will say nothing before Armstrong explains himself," Astana spokesman Philippe Maertens said.

EDIT Velo News Report

I am taking it that he will be going to astana on that last sentence, would also explain stories of an unhappy Contador breaking today.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
If Armstrong does return to work with Bruyneel and Astana then I would not blame Contador from moving on. Although I was and am a strong supporter of Armstrong IMO it would be a bad move for Bruyneel to take him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
If Armstrong does return to work with Bruyneel and Astana then I would not blame Contador from moving on. Although I was and am a strong supporter of Armstrong IMO it would be a bad move for Bruyneel to take him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, if I was Bertie I'd be mightily pissed off right now...

Why a bad move Keith? Of all the things that have been said about Armstrong, that strikes me as very strange. Whatever you think of them, they are a winning partnership. It wouldn't make sense for Lance to go anywhere else. He's going to need as much of his old set-up as he had before...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
From a cash money point of view, it's probably the best thing that could happen to Astana - they'll have money coming out of their ears.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Chuffy said:
Well, if I was Bertie I'd be mightily pissed off right now...

Why a bad move Keith? Of all the things that have been said about Armstrong, that strikes me as very strange. Whatever you think of them, they are a winning partnership. It wouldn't make sense for Lance to go anywhere else. He's going to need as much of his old set-up as he had before...

Because at best Armstrong will be for 2 years, maybe only one. Contador has a good 6 to 8 years ahead of him which would be better for Bruyneel and Astana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
Because at best Armstrong will be for 2 years, maybe only one. Contador has a good 6 to 8 years ahead of him which would be better for Bruyneel and Astana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But cycling teams are pragmatic, next year will be all about Armstrong, after that (assuming that he stays) it will be all about Contador. Just look at the way CSC handled Sastre and the Schlecks. I'd bet that if they'd thrown themselves behind either Schleck brother they would have won, but it was Sastre's turn, so he got the support.

Kovu

Über Member
Astanta have got Lance now haven't they?

girofan

Kazakh Cycling Fed. chief says that Armstrong will be joining Astana!
Leipheimer will almost certainly go if that is the case. Swiftly followed by Contador if he can get released from his 2010 contract.
Armstrong's reputation doesn't stink for no reason!!!

girofan said:
Kazakh Cycling Fed. chief says that Armstrong will be joining Astana!
Leipheimer will almost certainly go if that is the case. Swiftly followed by Contador if he can get released from his 2010 contract.
Armstrong's reputation doesn't stink for no reason!!!
U r a hater and jus jeliuys that an AMREICAN won ur stinking tour 9 times.
Etc...:wacko:

mondobongo

Über Member
RichK said:
Have/will Astana be invited to next years TdF?

Here you go ASO and Mr Prudhomme the absolutely perfect way to give bruyneel a slap. Would'nt it be hilarious all this media circus and then the French say 'Non'.

mondobongo said:
Here you go ASO and Mr Prudhomme the absolutely perfect way to give bruyneel a slap. Would'nt it be hilarious all this media circus and then the French say 'Non'.
But the President of the UCI says he can race, so what's the problem?
Heh...:wacko:

I would be hugely amused if the ASO did say 'non'. No better way to show their determination to break from the past and demonstrate that the Tour really is bigger than any one person.

Top Bottom