Continental Road Tube...

zexel

Senior Member
Location
Cambs
...leaking valves.

I've now replaced two brand new out of the box Continental road tubes because of a slow leak. The leak is coming from the top threaded bit that is in the main body of the valve.

I've now put a cheap tube on with what looks like the valve unit is one piece as opposed to being two (originally) on the Continentals.

Am I doing something wrong. There is only one way to fit/pump a tube right! :wacko:
 
I not sure I know what you are doing? I use conti tubes all the time and found them most reliant. I switched to them after getting a few problems with spesh tubes.
 
OP
zexel

zexel

Senior Member
Location
Cambs
accountantpete said:
The top bit was tightened up properly wasn't it?

(there are two flattened sides to enable this)
Ahhhh, 'THATS' what the two flats sides are for! I've never had to do that before. What a monkey! :wacko: I presume you can replace that bit if needed.

Everyday is a school day.

Thank you.
 

dave r

Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner
zexel said:
...leaking valves.

I've now replaced two brand new out of the box Continental road tubes because of a slow leak. The leak is coming from the top threaded bit that is in the main body of the valve.

I've now put a cheap tube on with what looks like the valve unit is one piece as opposed to being two (originally) on the Continentals.

Am I doing something wrong. There is only one way to fit/pump a tube right! :wacko:
I've had the same problem with continental tubes, C713 Presta Long Valve Road Tube, the top of the valve hasn't been tightened down properly, I first noticed that the tubes wanted topping up with air more regularly than I thought they should, then one started to unscrew while I was pumping it up. I retightened it, gently, with a pair of pliers and did the same with the others I have and they have been Ok since.
 
OP
zexel

zexel

Senior Member
Location
Cambs
dave r said:
I've had the same problem with continental tubes, C713 Presta Long Valve Road Tube, the top of the valve hasn't been tightened down properly, I first noticed that the tubes wanted topping up with air more regularly than I thought they should, then one started to unscrew while I was pumping it up. I retightened it, gently, with a pair of pliers and did the same with the others I have and they have been Ok since.

Yep they're the ones, exactly.
 

accountantpete

Brexiteer
zexel said:
I presume you can replace that bit if needed.
That's the utter lunacy of the design -shops wont want to stock something so trivial when they can sell a new inner tube and also basically the tube knackers before the valve anyway!
 

Garz

Squat Member
Location
Down
I have had a problem too with tubes, bought a box of schwalbe ones and had a faulty valve. It will happen to all brands I guess, was irritating though!
 

andyhunter

New Member
Location
northern ireland
only prob i have with tubes is when you dont use the plastic value cover, well its a bit of a pain in the hole trying to unscrew the value top bit which can become seized with dirt and grime. Then when you try to unscrew it i always mange to unscrew the top bit of the value to come out and air blasts out of course. I find teo sets of pliers in clockwise and anti-clockwise and moving it back and forth adding more degrees each time to clear away the build up of dirt and grime to loosen up just the top bit does the trick so it all does not come out.
 

Cubist

Still wavin'
Location
Ovver 'thill
battered said:
Er, so why not fit a dust cap? That's what they are for after all!
....I found that the dust cap sometimes grips the top part of the valve tighter than the bottom part of the valve, so when I had just spent a grim few minutes pumping the tyre up in the rain at the side of the road, and decided to swap the garish yellow dust cap on the new tube for the old black one I undid the whole thing and lost all 100 psi.:smile: I now leave the dustcaps off altogether, and keep the presta knurled bit clean with a squirt of GT85.
 

andyhunter

New Member
Location
northern ireland
battered said:
Er, so why not fit a dust cap? That's what they are for after all!
the valve cap is not used as to time consuming having to unscrew unless you a leisure cyclist i.e. before a race using clinchers you puncture, therefore quickly can remove tube and insert new one and pump. but if you had a valve cap would take longer and could miss start of race. same goes for changing a flat in a team car, time is precious, you don't know what could happen up the road as another flat or gear problems etc.
 

Tynan

Veteran
Location
e4
I always forget them after an inflation, but it's cheering to know it makes me look like a serious rider
 
Top Bottom