ContourHD vs ContourRoam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

enas

Über Member
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering buying a helmet cam, and I've kind of settled on a ContourHD, as their current price on Amazon makes them by far the best value for money. However, I've just found this ad on ebay, basically selling the ContourRoam, $199, with free worldwide delivery. That works out at the same price. As it's a more recent model, it has to be even better value right?

However, on looking closer, I've noticed at least one difference, which is that the ContourRoam doesn't do anymore 60fps. I'm kind of puzzled on this one. Is that important? Are there any other major differences in favour of one or the other? Apart from the waterproofness obviously, but that I don't really mind, as I understand the ContourHD is rain resistant to some good extent, which is all I really need (I'm in Ireland, and, as everyone knows, it doesn't rain that much here at all).

So, which one would you advice me to take?

On a side note, are accessories, and mainly mounting kit, compatible with either model?

BSRU

A Human Being
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering buying a helmet cam, and I've kind of settled on a ContourHD, as their current price on Amazon makes them by far the best value for money. However, I've just found this ad on ebay, basically selling the ContourRoam, $199, with free worldwide delivery. That works out at the same price. As it's a more recent model, it has to be even better value right?

However, on looking closer, I've noticed at least one difference, which is that the ContourRoam doesn't do anymore 60fps. I'm kind of puzzled on this one. Is that important? Are there any other major differences in favour of one or the other? Apart from the waterproofness obviously, but that I don't really mind, as I understand the ContourHD is rain resistant to some good extent, which is all I really need (I'm in Ireland, and, as everyone knows, it doesn't rain that much here at all).

So, which one would you advice me to take?

On a side note, are accessories, and mainly mounting kit, compatible with either model?

My Contour HD's are waterproof enough that I never bother with the waterproof case, to my mind only useful if doing water sports.

In my opinion 60fps is not a major lose, it's good for slow motion action but since it cannot be used in 1080p mode I never use it.

Since the Contour 1080p has been discontinued I would go for the Roam if it's at a similar price.

I think the only accessory not compatible with all Contours is the waterproof case.

As to the price, it seems when they sell US goods in the UK the US dollar price suddenly becomes the UK pound price.
I have just bought the GoPro Hero HD 2 from the US, it cost £300 here but £188($300) in the US, even with shipping, customs charges and Royal Mail handling fee, its still £50 cheaper.

Go for the Roam, it's a better camera.:thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've used the contourhd 720p, contourhd 1080p and contourROAM.
The roam is by far the best camera out of those 3. It has the updated image processing unit from the + and the 170 degree angle lens. It does give a bit of a fish eye look but not as bad as the gopro.

The biggest difference and the one often not mentioned, is the change to the user settings. On all other contour cameras you can change various things from brightness to exposure, this requires a computer or an iPhone (with Bluetooth enable cameras) to do. But On the roam this is compleatly automatic, at first I was skeptical about how well this would work but in fact it is brilliant. It means you never have to edit the settings and you nearly always get the best picture, I also think the nighttime performance is better than previous contour cameras.

A few days ago I would have warned you about the sound. It was slightly muffled due to te waterproofing but contour listened to its users and released a firmware patch which now means that sound levels are much better.

Don't forget, if you want to helmet mount the camera the you will also need to buy the vented helmet mount.

BSRU

A Human Being
Shame the Roam was not available when I bought the Plus, I would have definitely bought the Roam instead :sad:.

OP
OP
E

enas

Über Member
Thanks for all your answers, I guess I'll go for the Roam. The only thing that would put me off is buying from a US-based ebay seller instead of Amazon.co.uk But I guess that's the price to pay for the bargain.

As to the price, it seems when they sell US goods in the UK the US dollar price suddenly becomes the UK pound price.

Which is why I found it crazy when I saw this ad, with the US dollar price and free worldwide delivery. I'm probably supposed to pay custom charges, but that's a hit-and-miss in Ireland, you would be unlucky if it doesn't get through.

I now have to convince my wife (surely you can take nice and creative footages of your kids can't you? That's the approach I will try anyway).

OP
OP
E

enas

Über Member
All right, convinced wife :smile:

So does the helmet mount allow you to place the camera on the side of the helmet, or only on the top? Does the camera stay close to the helmet, or does it protrude a lot?

Also, I just saw that one too on Amazon. How does that compare with the helmet mount, if you know at all? (These are apparently included with the camera.)

Actually, would it be too much asking to see (or be pointed to) pictures of the camera mounted on the side of a helmet?

Also, what's the best way to attach the camera to the handlebar?

Thanks!

BSRU

A Human Being
All right, convinced wife :smile:

So does the helmet mount allow you to place the camera on the side of the helmet, or only on the top? Does the camera stay close to the helmet, or does it protrude a lot?

Also, I just saw that one too on Amazon. How does that compare with the helmet mount, if you know at all? (These are apparently included with the camera.)

Actually, would it be too much asking to see (or be pointed to) pictures of the camera mounted on the side of a helmet?

Also, what's the best way to attach the camera to the handlebar?

Thanks!

I'd use the vented helmet mount it's far more secure, once you have secured the little metal bar, I would not trust a sticky mount.

On top is the best as it other positions can make your helmet a little lob sided.

You can buy a dedicated Contour handlebar mount, I think they are about £18 from dogcamsport.
Or you can splash some case for RAM mounts, probably cost around £45.

Top Bottom