Convert to SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
Right, I have the chance to pick up an old race bike frame (free). It's a bit big for me, but it'll do just fine for this project

I'd really like to strip it down, spray it a light, sorta pea green, white bars, saddle, wheels etc, loose the shifters and convert to SS

As far as the chain rings go, am I going to be looking at getting a chainset designed FOR ss, or can I just loose 2 on the existing rings?

As far as the rear, what kinda sprocket size for general road use, average hills etc? Assuming the ring on the front is 42 teeth or there-abouts (I don't HAVE the bike yet to go check)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You can just leave it on whatever chainring you want on the front, or you could get a dedicated single speed crankset, its up to you what you want really, and how much money you want to spend on it. You might have to space out the rear cog to get a nice straight chainline.

Gearing choice is very personal, sorry cant help with that. I use 48:15 for general riding.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
As far as the rear, what kinda sprocket size for general road use, average hills etc? Assuming the ring on the front is 42 teeth or there-abouts (I don't HAVE the bike yet to go check)

It's worth checking against your regular bike to see what gearing you use most often. Whatever you chose may be a compromise between top/cruising speed and hill climbing ability. It's your call though.

Once you have your crank and a cog you'll quickly get a feel for what's right for you, and adjust accordingly, if needed. Remember though that your legs will need time to adjust to not having easier gears to drop down to or faster ones to go up to.

I use 42/16 on my fixed and 48/14 on my SS, both work for me.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
I'd rather have litterally just one ring up front, rather than leave the tripple just set in one gear

I dunno where this interest in Single Speed has come from, I've not had such a thing since my childhood BMX days lol

3narf

For whom the bell dings
SS is fantastic. The fixed gear bug is yet to bite me.

I use 46/17, which is a 73" gear. It's just great for me commute which includes a couple of sharp hills either way.

If your bike is a racer the big ring will be (I think) 48-50 or thereabouts. Correct me if I'm wrong!

You can calculate your gear inches using this site (scroll down): http://www.fixiestudio.com/

I think most people use between 65" and 80".

Have fun! Show us a pic when it's complete.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Nice link 3narf, that calculator is great. Maybe someone should start a fixed gear link thread (maybe me tomorrow)

"70 gear inches will give you a light ride around town, while 80 will give you speed downhill and a tough time back up." according to fixiestudios

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
You go faster that way! :bicycle:

Bikenut63

Hi all first post on here . I've got the single speed bug . I have brought a off the shelf ss bike love riding it although frame build is not great .
I'm now considering converting my other road bike . As it does not have rear facing drop outs. Would this be a problem ?
Has any one seen the state bike website ? Just love their bikes
Andrew

Ibbots

Hi all first post on here . I've got the single speed bug . I have brought a off the shelf ss bike love riding it although frame build is not great .
I'm now considering converting my other road bike . As it does not have rear facing drop outs. Would this be a problem ?
Has any one seen the state bike website ? Just love their bikes
Andrew

I've coverted a standard road bike to SS in the past and it worked fine. You'll most likely need a chain tensioner (Surly do a very nice one, and there are cheaper copies too). If using a standard road wheel you'll also need a cog and spacers - have a look at Charlie the Bikemonger's website, good value conversion kits and some handy "how to" information and videos. On-One is also a good place to look for cheap parts and they have a sale on at the moment, don't bother with their tensioners they are not great.

Top Bottom