Cool thingies you can do on a keyboard by pressing combinations of alt+various numbers .. etc (or Co

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Like this one... (culled from somewhere off here this morning): if you press alt+14 (on the under-used numeric keyboard to the right... no, to the right...yes, that's the one), you get musical notes, thusly: ♫
alt+0169 gives you ©

Any more cool combos?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
╔══════════════════════════════════╗
║ If you are particularly sad you could type everything using ASCII ║
╚══════════════════════════════════╝

Maz

Guru
I use these ascii codes all the time when typing in Spanish. Stuff like: áéñí¿¡
Theyre a bit of a pain having to press so many keys. "¿" is alt+0191, for example.

Shaun

Founder
Bullet point (•) ALT+0149
Upside Q mark (¿) ALT+0191
Reg. TM (®) ALT+0174
Quarter (¼) ALT+0188
Half (½) ALT+0189

... oh, okay, I cheated.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map

Click on a thingy and in the bottom right it'll tell you the keystroke combination.

Cheers,
Shaun :angry:

Carwash

Señor Member
Talk about a misnomer - all the characters so far mentioned in this thread lie outside the ASCII range! :angry:

Maz

Guru
Uncle Mort said:
I could never be arsed to do that. When I'm writing in French I unplug my qwerty keyboard and plug in my azerty keyboard.
I wonder if there's a Spanish equivalent of an AZERTY keyboard, or at least some software that can re-map/re-assign a keypress. hmm

Carwash

Señor Member
Maz said:
I wonder if there's a Spanish equivalent of an AZERTY keyboard, or at least some software that can re-map/re-assign a keypress. hmm

You shouldn't need any special software. If you use Windows, you can remap the keyboard from the Control Panel under 'Regional and Language Options', and switch between layouts from the taskbar.

Maz

Guru
Carwash said:
You shouldn't need any special software. If you use Windows, you can remap the keyboard from the Control Panel under 'Regional and Language Options', and switch between layouts from the taskbar.
Thanks. I tried the above, but should I expect to see a Spanish keyboard layout appear somewhere on the screen? How do I know where the ñ key is, for example?

At the moment I have to press alt+0241 to get ñ, which is a complete and utter bind.:angry:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Maz, you can also customise your keyboard in Word to insert the letters/symbols you want. Got to Insert, Symbol. N with a tilda, for example, is Ctrl+~n, but you can change the standard setting to any combination of keys you wish.

Maz

Guru
Uncle Mort said:
Maz if you know the keyboard layout in Spanish by heart you can just tell Windows that you are inputting in a different language and just use the same keyboard. As far as I recall, you just have to add extra languages as input options (in international settings?) and this gives you s drop down for easy selection. I'm at home at the moment and I'm on a Mac so I can't check, but in Windows XP, I just select the language from the bar at the bottom right hand of the screen.
Gotcha. I don't know the Spanish keyboard layout, but I fumbled around and found that the ñ has been assigned to the ";/:" key! So thanks for that.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Carwash said:
Talk about a misnomer - all the characters so far mentioned in this thread lie outside the ASCII range! ;)
OK, OK, but the thread title "Cool thingies you can do on a keyboard by pressing combinations of alt+various numbers I don't know what they're really called but I've seen the word ascii and can't be bothered to find out what it means or refers to" would have been a tad too long. :blush::eek:

Maz

Guru
Fnaar said:
I've seen the word ascii and can't be bothered to find out what it means or refers to" would have been a tad too long. :blush::eek:
It's American Standard Code Instruction (?) something or other. Doh I can't be bothered to look it up either. ;):thumbsup:

Top Bottom