Corona virus A Post Brexit Boom?

Roger Longbottom

As @Drago will very often say discuss.

I have no political / Brexit / Non Brexit affiliation, have long since given up so no axe to grind.

Anyway getting back to the plot, walks in this restaurant today in Portuguese holiday spot, probably has 80 / 90 covers, usually have to book, I am the only customer. Speaking to the owner he is genuinely worried "The Inglish are not coming" ( He means Breetish but a common enough error)

So whilst I am eating my meal gets me to thinking, could covid19 , although initially costing the health service and businesses a lot of money eventually be a windfall for Britain. Millions of Britain's holiday abroad every year and it would appear that this year a good proportion of those Brits will not be traveling thus keeping the money sloshing round the UK.

Anyway just me thinking out loud, no science to it.

Sharky

Guru
Might reduce the number of "Baby Boomers" and resolve the pensions crisis as well.

Hope it doesn't though - I am one of them.

My brother has already seen a virus business benefit.

He runs a small company which produces software.

One of his customers is one of the companies who make ventilators.

It's all hands to the pump there, as you may imagine.

They wanted him to do a job on the hurry up and were prepared to pay well for it.

AuroraSaab

I think there will an increase in UK holidays but not as much as you might think. A lot of folk, like our family, have decided not to go away at all. There will obviously be a retail bonus to food shops as everyone stocks up, but the ones benefiting most will be online retailers like Amazon, who profit but don't pay enough tax already. I think Netflix will get a lot of new subscribers.

Lots of smaller bars and cafes will fold, and it might be enough to tip large chains that are struggling already into liquidation.

What I do hope is that when this is all over, there is a huge retail surge as we all turn out to support small retailers. I am expecting to save quite a bit of money over the next couple of months - no frequent cinema trips, no eating out, no big purchases - will be staying home and using the stuff I already have; books, guitar, Spotify, and bike if my shoulder is up to it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Hays just bought Thomas Cook...fook how unlucky can you get

We booked a cottage for a week in June, we're having to cancel so we only lose 135 quid.
Sykes say its force major however you spell that so cutting our losses, to save 500

As @Drago will very often say discuss.

I have no political / Brexit / Non Brexit affiliation, have long since given up so no axe to grind.

Anyway getting back to the plot, walks in this restaurant today in Portuguese holiday spot, probably has 80 / 90 covers, usually have to book, I am the only customer. Speaking to the owner he is genuinely worried "The Inglish are not coming" ( He means Breetish but a common enough error)

So whilst I am eating my meal gets me to thinking, could covid19 , although initially costing the health service and businesses a lot of money eventually be a windfall for Britain. Millions of Britain's holiday abroad every year and it would appear that this year a good proportion of those Brits will not be traveling thus keeping the money sloshing round the UK.

Anyway just me thinking out loud, no science to it.
Are they going to be welcome in UK holiday spots by anyone apart from businesses who may still be there as many may go under during to present crisis?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A windfall? I predict the complete opposite. In 2017 the UK was in fifth place in the international tourism earnings league (on par with 2016) behind USA, Spain, France and Thailand according to UNWTO figures. The value of inbound tourism is forecast to grow from over £21bn in 2013 to £57bn by 2025, with the UK seeing an international tourism balance of payments surplus in 2023, almost forty years since the UK last reported a surplus. In other words the expectations was that inbound tourism would be worth more than the tourism we export. A combination of Brexit and Coronavirus will decimate tourism in this country.

Top Bottom