Could do with a little advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Hi cyclechatters,
As the title says a little advice would be appreciated.
Basically, i took delivery of my new Cannondale synapse on Saturday and took it out on sunday for a 67 mile ride. After 40 miles or so i started to get a loud cracking noise whenever i put downward pressure on the left peddle.
I took it to the LBS where i purchased it (bike2work scheme) and told them the problem. They kept the bike overnight and then rang me this morning to advise when they took the crank out the bearings just fell out and there were shards of metal inside. Cannondale have insisted that they have the bike reurned to them for inspection which could in turn take at least a week. Hopefully all will be sorted although it is incredibly frustrating after just 1 day of ownership to have this happen.

What i want to know is where do i stand with my consumer rights if it gets bogged down between bike shop and c/dale? Could i insist on a swop to another bike or do i have to sit on my hands and wait?

davefb

Guru
i'd reject it immediately and ask for another 'fit for purpose one'. or even just ask for money back..

though obviously this 'works' better if they had another exact same bike ready to swap.. I'm guessing you had to wait for it ?

cannondale can ask for the thing to look at, fair enough, but that isn't your problem, thats the shops problem to discuss with cannondale..

frankly , if it was a few months old, then I suppose it might be a bit 'interesting' , but the day after you bought it?? i'd have thought they should be falling over themselves to get in your good books!

davefb

Guru
oh and , the bit about wanting to repair vs a new one ( ignoring issues about how long either will take , christ they should LEND you a bike whilst the brand new replacement is on the way)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...merrightswhenbuyinggoodsandservices/DG_194650

"If you’ve had or used the item for a longer period of time, by law you have ‘accepted’ the goods. You won’t be entitled to a refund, but the trader should offer to repair or replace the item."

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Billy have a word with ajstephens, he's just had to exchange his synapse frame after it cracked and he was accused of racing (which is the standard reply)

and don't believe that " it should only take a week" crap

ask aj, you can find him on the sunday ride thread in informal rides

Your contract is with the dealer so anything you do with regards to the sale of goods act has to be with the dealer, the reason the manufacturer wants to see is is because they think the BB has not bee machined correctly I suspect therefore any replacement part is likely to fail also. If you like the bike otherwise then ask for either a loner while yours is being resolved or a swap for a new one, if it has put you off the brand then ask for a refund, it will take more than a week I suspect but I would be very surprised if you did not get a new bike from the makers as a matter of course.

apollo179

Unless you make a fuss you will be caught in limbo land waiting while the bike gets inspected. Unless you make a fuss they will do exactly as they want to suits themselves with not a thought about you.
I have experienced a similar problem with a new bike that quickly developed crank problems. I opened it up and found loads of welding debris that had presumably worked its way down and into the crank bearings.

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
Interesting replies so far people thanks very much :thumbsup:
I'm not sure how i would ask for my money back seeing as it is purchased through a cycle scheme.. but i will give it the week then start asking some questions. Initially when i returned with the bike the LBS told me i should have called first as they are very busy and i ended up taking the bike back in the afternoon as i needed it to get back home on. At no point did they offer or suggest a loan bike.
I will have to be very careful of timescale so that i don't run out of time for exchange (if it comes to that) i guess 14 days would be my cut off...

abo

What is the company like that you work for? With it being C2W then your employer owns the bike. If your C2W administrator person is friendly, why not see if you can get *them* to impart some menace power, if your LBS gets awkward?

As far as exchange goes; IANAL but since both the fault developing *and* your reporting both occurred within the 14 days so I believe the clock is stopped?

gregsid

Initially when i returned with the bike the LBS told me i should have called first as they are very busy...
Blummin'ek! They are making you feel as though you should be apologising for inconveniencing them! They should be bending over backwards to replace the bike ASAP, even if it's a loan cycle.

I advise you DON'T wait a week. Get down there A.S.A.P. and firmly, but politely, request a loan cycle whilst your REPLACEMENT is being sorted. That would ensure you were made into a "happy-to-return" customer. Customers that are keen to return are worth their weight in gold. Tell 'em that.

Greg

abo

Blummin'ek! They are making you feel as though you should be apologising for inconveniencing them! They should be bending over backwards to replace the bike ASAP, even if it's a loan cycle.

I advise you DON'T wait a week. Get down there A.S.A.P. and firmly, but politely, request a loan cycle whilst your REPLACEMENT is being sorted. That would ensure you were made into a "happy-to-return" customer. Customers that are keen to return are worth their weight in gold. Tell 'em that.

Greg

Gawd, I hope they're not arsey. I popped into my LBS in Stockton (Skinnergate Cycles btw) for a pair of bar ends and the lad in there was great, attentive and helpful, happy to discuss the pros and cons of the various designs even over a small purchase such as bar ends. I've popped in there a couple of times and they do seem pretty customer friendly.

Hope you manage to get this sorted. I don't think a loan bike while yours gets sorted out is an unreasonable request.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
They won't be off with you if you remain uber-polite. That's the key. But don't budge on what you want to be done.

Keep us posted and good luck :-)
Agreed. Be very polite but do not budge an inch from what you want from the shop. If they still will not give you a replacement bike or a loaner go to trading standards. Also name and shame on here.

Top Bottom