Could Mohammed move a mountain or was that just PR?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Any thoughts on the usual rent a mob suspects getting annoyed about cartoons of Mohammed being shown in a religious studies lesson.

I’m sure the school is in a difficult situation with a majority Asian population but I get the feeling the teacher has been hung out to dry here.

This is the UK not Afghanistan.

The fact that they have a religious studies course means that other religious beliefs must be taught and understood, including their failings.

The title is a Tim Rice quote from
Jesus Christ Superstar for anyone confused.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
a Tim Rice quote from
Jesus Christ Superstar
I'm sorry, but that's a straight red in any context.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The school's down the road from me and my eldest had a choice of a place there or at a second school, having passed the entrance tests for both. The nature of the school has changed significantly in the past 10 years, from a public school with scholarships to a free school. As such the balance of pupils and the ethos has also shifted.

Note @Beebo that this is a high ethnic area of several Muslim groups; Wahhabi, Shia, Sunni and Sufi. Almost 50% of the area is from a Muslim background, well over 50% around where the school is. Most are from an Indian background, but there are also substantial Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Afghani and others and they don't all get on.

This appears to be mob rule by one particular sub-group of Muslims; not all agree with the protests and there have been calls for calm by Muslim and non-Muslim alike in the area.

Yes, the teacher's been suspended and is under police protection due to death threats, which only inflames the situation. Let the education authorities do their job. There is also a lot of support for the teacher locally that hasn't hit the news - from pupils and parents.

Last edited:
There are 2 parts to this.

First the teacher is incredibly detached. He should know that these guys are waiting for an excuse, any excuse. He not only puts himself in danger but his colleagues and others.

Second he obviously has no idea about Islam. The religion does not allow statutes and images of the prophet. And that's from the very beginning of the religion. Why is he involved in RE in the the first place.

And he is from Yorkshire and should be more aware.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I find it interesting, but also understanding that there seems a marked difference between the reactions of the school and the DfE/Governement. I guess the school are trying to calm local reaction over and above the needs of the teacher. The events in France where a pupil made up stories about a teacher who was then murdered spring to mind here.

I think the teacher was fairly foolish, but death threats are not the right reaction. I was under the impression that nothing in the Quran bans pictures and it is only the Sunni Muslims who have a problem with it. Many religions seem to go through a period of 'no photographs' including Christians back in the 8th century and even some Protestants today.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Why would you do something so inflammatory though ?

If a vicar held up an innapropriate cartoon of Jesus I'm sure there would be complaints as well.

Teacher can't be that bright to even contemplate such a thing.
Again, we don't fully know the context.
However, if part of your class is to talk about blasphemy in religion in all it's forms, it can't be easy to do without examples pertinent to each faith group. As @DCLane suggests in his post about, there is possibly more at play here than meets the eye and the teacher is taking the wrap....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
taking the wrap....
I hope he's got halal meat in it or there will be more trouble.

C R

Veteran
The school's down the road from me and my eldest had a choice of a place there or at a second school, having passed the entrance tests for both. The nature of the school has changed significantly in the past 10 years, from a public school with scholarships to a free school. As such the balance of pupils and the ethos has also shifted.

Note @Beebo that this is a high ethnic area of several Muslim groups; Wahhabi, Shia, Sunni and Sufi. Almost 50% of the area is from a Muslim background, well over 50% around where the school is. Most are from an Indian background, but there are also substantial Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Afghani and others and they don't all get on.

This appears to be mob rule by one particular sub-group of Muslims; not all agree with the protests and there have been calls for calm by Muslim and non-Muslim alike in the area.

Yes, the teacher's been suspended and is under police protection due to death threats, which only inflames the situation. Let the education authorities do their job. There is also a lot of support for the teacher locally that hasn't hit the news - from pupils and parents.
Yes, we seem to allow the looney fringe to define the public perception of "muslims" and appoint themselves as spokespeople for the whole.

cougie uk

Über Member
I didn't say there would be death threats from Christians - but there has been plenty of far right mass murderers so anything is possible.

I'm not sure how you could be a teacher and be so ignorant of views on something like this.

Top Bottom