Could Mohammed move a mountain or was that just PR?

You're telling them to consistently stick to their holy book (or some such crazy demand).

Why is this? You say that YOU don't live your life that way - why insist on it from others?

Like I said, a suspicion of bad faith is creeping in here, just a suspicion ...
I'm not telling anyone to do anything.

I'm saying that if someone claims to live their life by the words in any of those books, if they deviate from that, they are drawing their justifications for that from outside of that book, from pretty much the same sources as those that don't follow the book.

matticus

Veteran
I'm not telling anyone to do anything.

I'm saying that if someone claims to live their life by the words in any of those books, if they deviate from that, they are drawing their justifications for that from outside of that book, from pretty much the same sources as those that don't follow the book.
I assume you mean "thinking about what they've read for themselves". Please read Aurora's several posts about this - she is patient/erudite enough to explain this quite clearly over the last few pages.

So far, her case stacks up much better than yours. Plus - unlike yourself and @Blue Hills - I think she is actually being sincere here.

I assume you mean "thinking about what they've read for themselves". Please read Aurora's several posts about this - she is patient/erudite enough to explain this quite clearly over the last few pages.

So far, her case stacks up much better than yours. Plus - unlike yourself and @Blue Hills - I think she is actually being sincere here.
Please avoid the personal abuse, it goes against the forum guidelines.

I am responding to your questions, so would prefer your response. You haven't answered the specific response I gave to your post yet.

You seem to make a habit of accusing folks who have different opinions to yours of being insincere.
ie: Not expressing things they really think/feel.
Quite what your grounds for this are I have no idea.

matticus

Veteran
I'd say that when looked at individually none of them provide a single view of the nature of God. The God of the Torah swings from judgemental to compassionate. Jesus's teaching is of a God of love but this isn't always reflected in the rest of the NT. None of them cover every moral situation.

That's why you need to apply your brain to it all. And I don't think believers are being hypocritical or inconsistent when they try to do this.
Well put.

@ClichéGuevara : there you go, that's roughly what I think. If you want an endless argument, start it with someone else.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
Name calling and being disrespectful are not within the forum rules.

Now that's clarified, if someone that lives by a particular book deviates from the word of the book based on their interpretation, how is that different to not following any book at all, and applying your own validation for decisions?
I believe a man named Paul may have written a few letters around that subject.

matticus

Veteran
and you have yet to respond to.
This is yet another clear indication that you just want an argument. Demands to respond to questions/points; is this really a grown-up way to discuss an important topic? Either you want to explore serious issues around religion in modern society, or you want a sixth-form point-scoring debate.

I have a pretty good guess which it is, but feel free to inform me.

This is yet another clear indication that you just want an argument. Demands to respond to questions/points; is this really a grown-up way to discuss an important topic? Either you want to explore serious issues around religion in modern society, or you want a sixth-form point-scoring debate.

I have a pretty good guess which it is, but feel free to inform me.
Not at all. Your response showed it was based on a misconception. I have politely explained that, and it would be polite of you to respond to that.

Top Bottom