Count Arthur Strong.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone else find him entertaining.....?

He had a 'Radio Show', on Radio 4 a while ago, and I managed to get my daughter (age 11 1/4) interested enough to listen, and she asked everyday, if he was on again!

I realise that radio 4 and CC members, may NOT be the most likely of 'bed-buddies', but at least this post has got bu$$er all to do with 'CURRENT AFFAIRS', which, for me at least, is a blessing! :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
Funniest thing I have heard on the radio:biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I love the Count ! Discovered him three years ago and have been a massive fan ever since.

Had the pleasure of seeing the preview of his "The Man Behind The Smile" at the Edinburgh Fringe last summer, and then I was at the recording of a special episode of the radio show a week later. I have a few pages of his very own script, with hand-written alterations, as a souvenir.

Seeing them do the radio show is hilarious - he's in character as the doddery Count (including the costume and makeup) throughout, and when they did some re-records at the end he had the cast pick up his script pages off the floor whilst he shuffled off and had a seat, as he was too old and frail to be bending over...

The radio shows are on CD, as are some of his DVDs. The shows are also on radioarchive.cc and currently being repeated on BBC7.

Pass the Barry sauce, Daddy ! :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I still can't decide if he's funny or rubbish. A modern Irene Handl whose humour relies on malapropisms.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Genius - very very funny! We love the Count in our house.

"Proceeds are going to my favourite charity - Stop the Dolphin... "

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
He's hilarious. I was a bit surprised when I saw a picture of him. I imagined him to be a tiny, skinny, old man with wiry, grey hair. My other favourite R4 programme is Ed Reardon's Week, and there are some similarities: both dypsomaniacs, both broken down hacks, both poverty stricken and on the make, both somewhat pompous, and both bad tempered. The main differences are that Count Arthur Strong is also senile and has greater delusions of grandeur. Ed Reardon is somewhat more misanthropic.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Yellow Fang said:
He's hilarious. I was a bit surprised when I saw a picture of him. I imagined him to be a tiny, skinny, old man with wiry, grey hair. My other favourite R4 programme is Ed Reardon's Week, and there are some similarities: both dypsomaniacs, both broken down hacks, both poverty stricken and on the make, both somewhat pompous, and both bad tempered. The main differences are that Count Arthur Strong is also senile and hahttp://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=727584s greater delusions of grandeur. Ed Reardon is somewhat more misanthropic.

This is the Count out of character & costume:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-9pGR7m9y4&feature=related

Also found this - the man behind the Count, Steve Delaney, in an early acting role playing a policeman in Poirot:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxu6dYcjcAo&feature=related

The chubby guy with the orange drink at 1.10 is Dave Mounfield, aka Gerry and many of the other characters in the show.

Top Bottom