Cowboys and Indians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

Kirstie said:
Then there was raps with playing cards. At playtime people would make horrible messes of their knuckles. Also banned...

That was called 'snipes' in this part of the world. Ouch!

Renard

We used to call the war game 'commandos' and it was always the British against the Germans. I can remember huge games of Cowboys and Indians at primary school. When you were an indian you tied your school tie around your head. I have happy memories of charging across the school playing field surrounded by other kids similarly attired hollering war cries as we attacked the kids who had chosen to be cowboys.

Renard

Birthdays were the worst thing in our secondary school. If anyone found out when yours was you were dead. It went from the bumps with knees in your back to being rolled down the railaway embankment in a dustbin filled with..well...let's not go into that.

I remember one year a friend spent the whole day hiding in a tiny cupboard under the stage.

I remember I used to keep my birthday a secret after getting a bit of a doing one year. It was called the 'dumps' where I came from.

col

Legendary Member
I remember the chain of us getting bigger,as we walked around chanting,who want s to play japs and commandos,cowboys and indians,and british bulldog,depending who started it.

Abitrary

col said:
I remember the chain of us getting bigger,as we walked around chanting,who want s to play japs and commandos,cowboys and indians,and british bulldog,depending who started it.

yep, we used a similar system if a playground-wide game was in order.

Abitrary

User76 said:
How about "scrambling" marbles. We used to play loads of marbles games, and every now again someone would "scramble" some marbles, they would stand on the big oil tank and hurl handfuls of marbles into the assembled crowd, blimey it was carnage:ohmy:

Is it still OK to say "Chinky" and "Chinky Bolster"? Blimey I can't remember what we called completely clear marbles!! I'm losing it:sad:

Bloody hell! That game would have been stopped in most schools the minute someones eyeball got billiarded out by a marble

col

Legendary Member
User76 said:
How about "scrambling" marbles. We used to play loads of marbles games, and every now again someone would "scramble" some marbles, they would stand on the big oil tank and hurl handfuls of marbles into the assembled crowd, blimey it was carnage:ohmy:

Is it still OK to say "Chinky" and "Chinky Bolster"? Blimey I can't remember what we called completely clear marbles!! I'm losing it:sad:

Yes youve reminded me,marbles used to be big then,and the twoers and sixers,ours went on the size,i cant remember a different value for clear either.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Rhythm Thief said:
Clear marbles were "glassies", at my school.
Pots, spags and Frenchies are the other ones I remember.
Clear ones were "crystals" to us. And ball-bearings were prized, too.
Don't remember fighting for marbles, but scrapping for thrown sweets was called a "jew bundle" (apologies if blah blah etc etc), and "al join on for a game of waaa-aaar, no girls" was the common chant. Ip-dip was modified to "ip dip dog sh!t, you stepped in it", or "ip-dip dog p!ss, what number is this?" and so on.... ah, them were the days... :smile:

gary r

Guru
Abitrary said:
How did people elect team-mates? We used a system called 'ip dip', that went...

Ip dip, sky blue, who's it, not you... (ad nauseam)

still used by my kids aged (7 & 3 yrs old) changed a bit,

ippy dippy do doggy done a poo who stepped in it it was you

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
rich p said:
War or cowboys and indians were the games of choice when I was at school.. Don't think my kids ever played them though and they're in their mid 20's so I doubt if the habit has come back. Did you have 'veinites' when you were safe from being shot?

Oh yes, We also used to have a game at my primary school c1964 where we used to link arms as more kids joined in singing ollie ollie infor, join in the squash. It was a sort of rugby scrum up against the wall at the end of the playground, the more kids in it, the more the squashed got squashed if you can follow my drift. It was a good school, even if we did have some strange games:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Fnaar said:
Clear ones were "crystals" to us. And ball-bearings were prized, too.
Don't remember fighting for marbles, but scrapping for thrown sweets was called a "jew bundle" (apologies if blah blah etc etc), and "al join on for a game of waaa-aaar, no girls" was the common chant. Ip-dip was modified to "ip dip dog sh!t, you stepped in it", or "ip-dip dog p!ss, what number is this?" and so on.... ah, them were the days... :smile:

we used to all buy loads of half pence mojo sweets, load them into a spread out snorkel parka and toss them in the air. a huge "jew scrap" would ensue.

Top Bottom