CPC19 infra "revolution" still no bikes

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Conservative party conference is headlining an "infrastructure revolution" today but it seems to be more broadband, more buses and more road building. Still nothing for cycling, as far as I can tell, with the new roads being basically motorways either in name or not, and still no movement to get bikes on more long distance buses like how they are on the Oxbridge X5 and Borders X62. I've less complaint with the broadband but it's of marginal relevance here because you can't send a bike down the wires.

How is this a revolution? It looks like throwing more money at the same old failing policies. I'm sure it's just coincidence that bus builders and operators and road builders are all privately operated and this'll require local government to pay more to maintain roads and bus routes(!) Have I overlooked some key things?

Hmm... would it be cynical to muse on how many road construction companies and large national bus companies have made 'donations' to Tory funds?

SpokeyDokey

Into my 64th
The Conservative party conference is headlining an "infrastructure revolution" today but it seems to be more broadband, more buses and more road building. Still nothing for cycling, as far as I can tell, with the new roads being basically motorways either in name or not, and still no movement to get bikes on more long distance buses like how they are on the Oxbridge X5 and Borders X62. I've less complaint with the broadband but it's of marginal relevance here because you can't send a bike down the wires.

How is this a revolution? It looks like throwing more money at the same old failing policies. I'm sure it's just coincidence that bus builders and operators and road builders are all privately operated and this'll require local government to pay more to maintain roads and bus routes(!) Have I overlooked some key things?
My guess is is that most of the UK population don't give a fig about bikes/cycling and/or don't see them as part of an infrastructure revolution; ergo limited political response as it's all about appealing to the masses.

winjim

Iron pony
Not sure about the rest of the country but I noticed on my morning strolls at our recent holiday in Flamborough that the broadband there was funded by the EU...

YukonBoy

The Monch
They are only concerned with their own remaining in power. They don't give a fig about climate, environment, or the quality of life for the rest of us. No doubt they'll make tidy profit from "infrastructure" companies they own.

One argument is that big infrastructure projects like this could in theory employ a lot of people so if the Gov. is expecting a lot of unemployment in the near future (obviously I can't imagine why that might be, but still...) then this would give a lot of people work.

That we don't really need the roads, and in fact as @YukonBoy says, we need to be reeling back such things, is neither here nor there...

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
My guess is is that most of the UK population don't give a fig about bikes/cycling and/or don't see them as part of an infrastructure revolution; ergo limited political response as it's all about appealing to the masses.
I wonder if the majority of combustion vehicle road users would prefer to see pesky bikes off the road and on their own cycle lanes so there may be more of an appetite than you think.

Top Bottom