Cramp and electrolyte tablets (on tour)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
Touring last summer I had problems with waking up with cramp in one or other of my calf muscles. As the cramps haven't continued into the off-season I'm wondering whether it might be an idea to take electrolyte tablets (or something to replace lost minerals) while I'm on tour this year. However, what I don't want is something to make flavoured water etc etc - ideally I'd like a small bottle with some small tablets. Is that possible. Grateful for any advice/recommendations.

Thanks.

Norm

I don't think that a definitive cause of cramp has been found, but taking electolyte tabs does seem to work for many, including me.

I think the best asnswer is to give it a try, put together a couple of long days using the tablets in your drink and see how it goes. I think they are around 35p per tablet which does 750ml, so it's not too pricey to put it to the test.

As an aside, Small II had a 48-hour dose of D&V last week, she couldn't keep anything down and hated the taste of Diarolyte. Luckily, she loves the taste of my electrolyte tabs so she was on them for 3 days.

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
I don't think that a definitive cause of cramp has been found, but taking electolyte tabs does seem to work for many, including me.

I think the best asnswer is to give it a try, put together a couple of long days using the tablets in your drink and see how it goes. I think they are around 35p per tablet which does 750ml, so it's not too pricey to put it to the test.

As an aside, Small II had a 48-hour dose of D&V last week, she couldn't keep anything down and hated the taste of Diarolyte. Luckily, she loves the taste of my electrolyte tabs so she was on them for 3 days.

Thanks Norm. Hope 'Small II' is better now.

Norm

She is indeed, thanks Andy. :thumbsup: Although Easter break started about an hour ago and I want to strangle the pair of them already. :biggrin:

I get two sorts of cramp when I am on tour

the first I associate with electrolyte imbalance in very hot weather and for me is very rare, I always get a bit of warning when it is coming on and it always occurs in my calves during the daytime before I have eaten - is easily solved with a packet of salted crisps and a bottle of coke

The second I associate with having had a hard day and always occurs suddenly without any warning in the evening or when I am asleep in either my calves or thighs –or on some agonising occasions in both – no amount of electrolyte intake makes the slightest difference – the longer the tour goes on the less frequent the cramp occours

I never take any form of additional electrolyte supplement unless I have been unwell -my normal diet supplies more than enough of the minerals I need - I worked in the middle east many years ago when the vogue was to issue people with botttles of salt tablets to take in hot weather - withdrawn when there appeared to be a correlation with an increased incidence of kidney stones among the work force

also see

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
The second I associate with having had a hard day and always occurs suddenly without any warning in the evening or when I am asleep in either my calves or thighs –or on some agonising occasions in both – no amount of electrolyte intake makes the slightest difference – the longer the tour goes on the less frequent the cramp occours

Yep - that's the type I get. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom