Creaking from peddle kinda area.. When I push down..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jack

From what I can tell, sounds like it might be the bottom bracket? Does that seem right? Easy to fit a new one myself, or is a trip to the LBS on the cards?

Cheers

Jack

Mr Phoebus

Check all the chainring bolts are done up tight, those are usually the culprit.

OP
OP
J

Jack

Ok, will give them a check. As it happens I have just put a new chainset on, so maybe something has worked loose.. Thinking about it though, I think this creaking started before that.. Anyway, I will check they are all fully tightened.

Cheers.

Mr Phoebus

Grasp the pedal arms, check the BB for any play. (like you previously mentioned)

Also remember bikes are ventriloquists :blush: :laugh: :tongue: and can throw their creaks 'n' squeaks quite effectively. :eek:

minnsy

Pedals...on my MTB it is always the pedals (I use flats)...might not sound like it comes from the pedals...but is always does! First signs of the pedal bearings wearing out. Solution for me was take them off and 'bathe' them in oil overnight...

My roadie doesn't squeak...but there again, it doesn't spend most of its life in the mud...

Cheers...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
And if all that doesn't work, take the cranks off, clean and grease the interfaces and reassemble.

True, creaks can come from unexpected places. I thought I had a creaky handlebar recently, turned out to be the saddleclamp.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Every noise sounds like it is from the bottom bracket area because when you push on the pedal is when the stress is transmitted through the rest of the bike. It could well be from there of course, but the saddle is worth a quick check first. A loose clamp bolt or even not having the top and bottom of the clamp directly in line were the source of my last two mystery noises.

Loose cleat bolts are another common cause, they come under more stress than any other fastener on the bike and nearly always benefit from another tweak after initial fitting.

Shaun

Founder
If you're using clipless pedals, try a drop of oil on the spring-mechs - does the trick for me. :eek:

Actually, that reminds me, I need to oil mine ....

OP
OP
J

Jack

Ok. Chainring bolts all done up tight. Not quite sure how I can check for play in the BB? I think there might be some, I'm not sure though really. :-S

Don't know how I can check the pedals, but I have felt them and spun them, they seem to be fine to be honest - and the sound sounds like it is coming from the cranks or deeper down in the bike really. On both sides.

I have really basic simple pedals at the moment, just at the moment trying to choose between a few SPD jobbies. Will update my pedal thread after this actually! So yeah - not clipless at the moment.

Whereabouts are the cleat bolts? Sorry. :eek:

Doesn't stop when I stand - and I am 18. :blush:

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Jack said:
Don't know how I can check the pedals, but I have felt them and spun them, they seem to be fine to be honest - and the sound sounds like it is coming from the cranks or deeper down in the bike really. On both sides.
If it's your pedals than the sound will travel along the crank and be magnified by the frame.

I have really basic simple pedals at the moment, just at the moment trying to choose between a few SPD jobbies. Will update my pedal thread after this actually! So yeah - not clipless at the moment.
Ok, so probably not your pedals then. If they were clipless then the mechanism on the pedal would be a prime suspect.

Whereabouts are the cleat bolts? Sorry. :eek:
You haven't got any. Not if you don't have clipless pedals. If/when you do then they are the bolts holding the cleat onto your shoe.

Doesn't stop when I stand
Could be the seatpost. If the frame flexes then the post could be the culprit and it would make no difference whether you stood or sat. Remove and grease well.

Creaks are a real sod to nail down. Good luck.

Defo try the seatpost before doing anything with the BB, I was at the LBS and I mentioned a noise coming from what I feared was the BB, he had a look at it and said that it was likely needing replaced. Took it home and noticed that the seatpost clamp was a tad loose. Tada, no more squeeky bike, saved myself £50!!

Top Bottom