Creaking seatpost or saddle rail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
My new SCR2 started creaking last week when my backside was on the saddle and I was puuting in the effort. If I reduced the effort or lifted off the saddle, the creaking stopped.

As is usual, I greased the seatpost thinking that was at fault, but the creaking continued. So I took the saddle off and greased the saddle rails, but this morning it's STILL creaking :biggrin:

What should I try next ? Should I grease the seatpost clamp too ? Or is it known for Selle Royal Viper saddles to creak very loudly and transmit the noise down the post ?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
handlebar clamp?

redjedi

Über Member
I had the same recently. I actually thought it was the handlebars for a long time.

I discovered it was the seat clamp done up to tight. Try loosening it a bit.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Definitely the seatpost or the seatpost clamp - saddle has been removed and putting backwards and forwards pressure on the seatpost makes it tick and creak. I'll try more liberal application of grease and maybe not tighten the clamp as much.

Off to do that now - I'll report back !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As mickle says - common where the rails meet the saddle underbody - my Flite Titanium does this sometimes - spray lube into the rail/underbody contact points.

As said, also check the clamp !

Mr Pig

Fossyant, are you or were you active on Hi-Fi or car forums? The reason I ask is that your forum name seems familiar.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

fossyant said:
As mickle says - common where the rails meet the saddle underbody - my Flite Titanium does this sometimes - spray lube into the rail/underbody contact points.

As said, also check the clamp !

I'll try that tonight. Still creaking on the way in this morning. In addition, a 'ting-ting-ting' joined the orchestra 1/2 way to work; a broken spoke on the back wheel. Sigh. The bike's only three weeks old - perhaps at 15st 10 I'm too heavy for it ?! :evil:

small fish

Hmm interesting...

Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a similar query (rather than start a new thread.)

I too have an irritating creak... I first thought it was coming from the saddle but it still happens when I'm out of the saddle, and it is only when I'm pushing hard on the right pedal.

I hadn't thought about it coming from the handlebars - what should I tighten/loosen/investigate - the bolts at either end of the stem?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Small fish - check pedals are tight, cranks are tight, chain rings are tight, and BB isn't showing play, or that it's seated properly/tight in the frame. Best thing is to strip down, re-grease and re-assemble (that's generally what I'd do).

Handle bar - undo and regrease then re-assemble.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

fossyant said:
Small fish - check pedals are tight, cranks are tight, chain rings are tight, and BB isn't showing play, or that it's seated properly/tight in the frame. Best thing is to strip down, re-grease and re-assemble (that's generally what I'd do).

Handle bar - undo and regrease then re-assemble.

And if you're on a MTB with front suspension, check that out too. Took me ages to isolate that one - obviously a bit dry inside and something was rubbing when the fork compressed as I pedalled. It too only seemed to happen when one pedal was pushed.

small fish

cool thanks - i had wondered about chain rings/bb. Hopefully it's the bars though that sounds less scary to fix.

(Also wondering if something got damaged in recent 20mph impact with car, though i was discounting that as the noise was already there before the crash)

This chasing noises thing can become an obsession - I only noticed the creak after I removed my rattling bell. And I only noticed the rattling bell when light evenings meant I could remove my rattling front light!

Now, if I can just master how to pedal hard with my right foot whilst riding with no hands and standing out of the saddle I'll be able to work out for sure if it's coming from down below...

Ranger

goo_mason said:
I'll try that tonight. Still creaking on the way in this morning. In addition, a 'ting-ting-ting' joined the orchestra 1/2 way to work; a broken spoke on the back wheel. Sigh. The bike's only three weeks old - perhaps at 15st 10 I'm too heavy for it ?! :becool:

I bought an SCR at the weekend through our bike to work scheme, but had a chat about them to my LBS mechanic (who isn't supplying the bike). His one negative comment to me was regarding the wheels, they expect to rebuild them for anyone over about 11st as they are not particularly strong and need the spokes replacing for another type. At this point he went into technical details and everything got a bit hazy, but I think I nodded at the right bits:blush:

Top Bottom