Creaky Handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi all,

My 4 month old Marin has developed a creaking from the handlebars. If I stress the bars (i.e. put weight on the left, then on the right) I hear a creak coming from around the clamp area (not sure if it is the clamp or the adjustable mount).

She's still pretty new so I'm surprised. I'm not the quickest of cyclists (I'm not the sort to often get out of the saddle and put excessive force on the bars whilst powering up a hill for example, but being overweight I guess I do put a reasonable weight on them). It also happened after I was in a rain shower or two, so maybe that's related.

Reading on the Internet, it seems quite common, and the advice is to take the bar out and lightly grease it. Is this the correct thing to do? Will I (and do others) need to do this frequently? I can't see any obvious cracks so I'm guessing that the bar is just flexing and rubbing against the non-flexing clamp.

I'm gonna pop it to the LBS who sold it to me to see their reaction tomorrow if possible, as I'm expecting them to resolve it as the bike is still quite new.

Advice welcome,

Thanks,

MG

abbie

Mine is about 3 months old and was doing the same. I hadn't taken it for it's six week service so popped it in today and they said it's normal and they would resolve it. I haven't tried it since but I think with new bikes things take a while to settle in hence why it would just have started creaking.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just tighten the four cap bolts on the front of the stem.
I had a creaking noise from my old 1-bolt MTB stem so I tightened the bolt. The creaking went away for a while, then it returned. I tightened the bolt again and the creaking went away again. I went out for a ride and the creaking came back - I ignored it and carried on with my ride. I bombed down a descent that you probably know (from the New Delight at Jack Bridge down Colden Clough towards Church Lane, Hebden Bridge). Just as I slowed down, there was a loud crack as the bolt extracted what was left of the thread from the stem and my bars rotated through 90 degrees! :eek:

Sometimes, too tight can be a problem! 

OP
OP
mgarl10024

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi all,

Thanks for the prompt responses and great advice.

I took it to the LBS this morning, and he said that it sounded like it was coming from the adjustable mount (used for varying handlebar angle). He explained that the grease inside, over time, either evaporates or is pushed out by water and so that's why the creak has appeared.
I've booked it in for next Tues to be looked at, although he informs me that it is relatively simple to take it apart and put some grease in there, so has recommended that I should try to do it next time as it'll be one of those periodic jobs.

Plus, he's going to do it under the bike's warranty. :biggrin:

Thanks once again - I'll let you know what happens next Tues.

MG