Creaky handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The handlebars on my 1970s Raleigh creak when I put weight on them.

I've tightened up the horizontal clamp and I'm fairly certian the noise is not comming from here.

Is it just a case of tightening up the stem quill or could it be a sign of something more serious?

D

Deleted member 1258

Possibly the clamp wants cleaning or the handlebars are damaged. try taking it apart, clean the clamp and check the handlebars for damage, pay attention to the part of the handlebars that are inside the clamp.

sparrow101

check the front wheel
a couple of times i've had a creek which sounds like is comming from the handle bars and it turned out to be the quick release wasn't tight enough

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hmmmm.... I had an untraceable creak on my MTB in the mid-late 90's. I stripped the front end down and greased/tightened everything as the creak seemed to coincide with standing up and honking on the handlebars. This didn't cure the creak but I few months later I found out what the source was while barrelling down a stony track off the moors at about 20mph when i found myself trying to steer with only half a handlebar (well, I did technically still have both halves but only one side was still attached!).

This seems to be the common failure mode for aluminium in my experience. It will fatigue and crack, eventually shearing off with little warning if you miss the tell tale signs (and they are not always obvious) where steel will often weaken and deform first, giving some warning before a catastrophic failure occurs.

If I were in your position I would almost certainly replace the bars if they are aluminium, just to be on the safe side. I still have some of the scars from my incident!

Skipper

I have this problem from tim to time, so I just put in as much oil and grease as i can in to any nook or cranny that could possible squeak, then tighten real well. Does the trick for me!

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
If anyone is still interested it turned out to be the quill. I smeared the rusty threads with vaseline so I could tighten it up further and the squeaks gone now.

HovR

Über Member
My late 70's/early 80's Dawes Echelon has the same creak, in the same place, under the same circumstances. Thanks for the information, hopefully the fix will work!

Top Bottom