Credit Crunch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

People are being made redundant left, right and centre. The economy is in turmoil. Luckily, I have a reasonably secure job, and savings put aside, but I'm thinking of throwing all that out the window!

I have three questions. Firstly, would it be irresponsible if I quit my job and sold all my possessions so I can head off for a year's cycle touring adventure in south america? Secondly, will the global financial problems be likely to affect me (positively or negatively)? And, lastly, when (if!?) I return, how hard is it going to be to get a job again, is it worth worrying about?

Pottsy

Difficult to answer those questions, but I'd like to add that I have similar thoughts/plans. My view is that if you really want to take off for a year on your bike or fulfill that lifetime ambition, best do it when the economy is rubbish especially if that directly effects your job. In my case a poor economy means harder work for less money, so it's the best time to go. Getting a job again in a year or so is something to worry about later - there's always work around for certain professions, so I guess this depends on what you do.

Worth considering your personal circumstances too - if the opportunity fits in with them now then it might be worth going now, in another year or two it could all be different e.g. having kids or something.

Just my views and I'll be as interested as you in other people responses. Having said that I suspect you'll get nothing but encouragement to go, which I suspect is probably what you want. ;)

andym

Über Member
hubbike said:
Firstly, would it be irresponsible if I quit my job and sold all my possessions so I can head off for a year's cycle touring adventure in south america?

I'm assuming you haven't got any dependents. Do you mean sell your house and everything in it, or sell your stereo and laptop? How long would it take you to get back to where you started?

Secondly, will the global financial problems be likely to affect me (positively or negatively)?

Sterling has taken a bit of a battering but the $/pound exchange rate isn't too awful. So South America shouldn't be too bad.

And, lastly, when (if!?) I return, how hard is it going to be to get a job again, is it worth worrying about?

It depends on how old you are, what skills you've got, whether you work in an industry where people change jobs frequently.

OP
OP
H

hubbike

Thanks, yep encouragement to go is what I am after!!! Also my personal circumstances are much as you assume, young (27), kidless, and it will be the stereo, car and laptop that will go as opposed to mansion, helicopter and priceless furniture. Thumbs up then?

Pottsy

Without a shadow of a doubt then - go for it. I'm in a similar situation though, ahem, just a tad older. ;)

I spent 6 months in south and central America a few years ago so happy to help with any routing questions if that's a help.

jags

Guru
go for it my friend,you'll be dead a long time.enjoy life as much as is physically possible.your plans sound fantastic what a trip brilliant.
are you going to live off the land as in will you be camping all the way,what bike and gear have you got,are they up to the challange.anyway hope you make it and have a ball doing it,best of luck
cheers, jags.

My advice is DO IT.
We took time out to do a big European tour and did not regret it.
Life on the road is simple, pleasurable and restores your faith in people.
We met so many great people had so many fantastic sites, moments etc.
You will never look back.
Good luck and hope that you take a positive step.....towards freedom.

andym

Über Member
hubbike said:
Thanks, yep encouragement to go is what I am after!!! Also my personal circumstances are much as you assume, young (27), kidless, and it will be the stereo, car and laptop that will go as opposed to mansion, helicopter and priceless furniture. Thumbs up then?

Yep, I'd say go for it while you've got time on your side. Though think about the re-entry plan as well.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I agree...go for it. It might be tough when you get back, but when you hit 60, you won't have any regrets. (I think, I'm not 60 btw). I'm 34 and already wishing I'd done more in my 20s, so go go go.

Your mum will be really mad at you though.

MarkF

Guru
I jacked in a good job at 27, set off to work in Leeds one morning and was at Manchester airport the same afternoon, maybe if I'd thought about it sensibly I wouldn't have gone. I travelled all around America and Mexcio.....by m/bike & car:blush: Best thing I ever did, I've great memories and stories to tell. 2 years later, back in the employment grind, I went back on a 3 week holiday, it wasn't the same, you need to be free....

You are just the right age IMO, everytime you walk in a bar at 27 anything can happen and often does, when you 47, nothing much does:sad:

Forget about your current and future employment, those thoughts only add more "if's" and "but's" to give you an excuse not to go. You are thinking about it enough to post here so, do it, do it do it!

The best thing it taught me was how unimportant a "job" is, once you have walked away once, then the next time is easy. :laugh:

OP
OP
H

hubbike

I think I will post more of my route/equipment/bike problems in a separate thread at some point. but the jist of it is this.

I have an old Trek 820 that I have had resprayed and have rebuilt with new (and a few second hand) components, mainly Deore. It still doesn't have a seatpost, saddle, racks or panniers. If I use this bike I will get strong hand-built wheels made. However, I may yet decide to shell out on a Thorn Raven.

As for the route. I'm hoping to start at Ushuaia, swing by the Torres del Paine and Fitz Roy, then hopfully take the Carretera Austral, from there I'm less clear but I'd like to keep following the Andes north and I'd like to see Lago Titicaca, Machu Pitchu etc.
But more than that I'd like a route with mountains, deserts and jungle. hopefully end up in Venezuela where I have some contacts.

I will be camping wild, cooking on a stove (or open fire), and trying to live as frugally as possible so I might eke out my journey a little further (ie into central america, USA, etc). I have an old but small and light two man tent which I will use. a trangia stove which I will probably replace with a multi-fuel unless anyone can reasure me that I will be able to get methelated spirits (I think its called alchol industrial in spanish). More info to come. . .

Mum will be mad its true, but then when she was young she had her own adventures!

soulful dog

Veteran
I'm by nature a cautious person, but even I'd say go for it. You're probably the perfect age for it, and even if for some reason it doesn't end up being what you'd hoped, like rich p says, you can always just come home. However it works out, you'll still have the experience and won't have any regrets about not giving it a go.

Best of luck with it, and just make sure you consider blogging it all on crazyguyonabike!

Top Bottom