CREE Q5 240 lumen LED Front Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul J

I purchased 2 of these lights from China at a discounted price of $9 each including postage. The seller is on ebay (yueyutu89) store link. One of them has come in slightly scratched but at this price I am not to bothered as I am sure it will pick up scratches in use.

First impressions are that its reasonably well made, not in the league of a Maglight but also not in the same price bracket. The mounting bracket comes with two different rubber inserts so that it clamps on a varied range of bar diameters. I will repace the thumbscrew with a tamper proof caphead so that the clamp can be left on the bike.
Cree Q5.jpg
There are 3 modes: super bright (240Lm), normal (80Lm), and blinking. To access these modes you turn on the torch and then slightly depress it. To adjust the beams focus or spread you slide the telescopic head. At a distance of 250cm (8' 6") the narrow beam is approx 60cm (24" inches) and at the widest beam 300cm (10' ft).

Length: 11.5cm (zoom out), 10.5cm (zoom in)
Diameter: 3.5cm
Working voltage: 3.6V - 4.2V
Body material: aluminum alloy
Weight: approx. 110g
Powered by 3 AAA batteries (not included)

At the moment I would give it a 10/10 based upon first impressions but let see how it perfoms under use.

The pots, post fence, etc are about 60ft from the light. I think it's fine on wide beam but a bit pointless on narrow. I didn't bother taking pictures on normal power as this was a little disappointing. I would be happy to ride with this on full power on an unlit street.

highpower_wide.jpg
Wide beam Full Power (above)
highpower_narrow.jpg
Narrow beam Full Power (above)

Recycler

I've got two of those lights, which I bought last year off E-bay, and they are excellent.

Mine cost a little more but additionally came with a rechargeable battery and adapter, together with a charger. Battery life is at least three hours. I've got the holders for the AAA batteries but have never needed to use them.

At the time I got them I was looking at getting a Magicshine but thought I would take a punt. I've not bothered with the magicshine! I like having two lights as I can use different combinations of wide/narrow beam, Fixed/flashing light etc etc.

Highly recommended.

Ethan

Aye, I've also got two of them.
I highly recommend them too!
Very bright, and they dont seem to eat through AAA batteries to quickly, considering. Small and well built - Look alright too.

my only complaint is they flash to quickly:tongue:

DRHysted

Guru
I've got one on the handlebars and one on a helmet mount. I also can across a similar light that takes two of the 18650 rechargeable batteries on eBay last year for £20, which I keep on the handlebars as well.

As for the next few weeks at least one journey will be in pitch blackness again, they're all be in use.

Very bright tourches, and I got the charger unit which plugs in a USB port, so can charge them at work as well.

Thanks for the OP and also for the link in above post - just bought 2 of em. Any idea why something so bright is so cheap?

Ask the seller nicely and he'll give you the 18650 extensions as well^_^

Dunno why the cheap price TBH The mount isnt the greatest e.g. it doesnt swivel horizontally but it does the job.!

One tip - if you cycle without the lights in mounts remember to screw the tightening nut in anyway, I didnt and it fell out and I had to replace it with a normal screw....

I

A big problem looking at your illumination photos is the lights will blind any oncoming traffic because there is no vertical cut off in the beam. The photos do not show this problem too well because there is nothing much high up in the near scene for them to illuminate but the illumination of the clothes dryer shows there is a good deal of illumination going horizontally and above which will make them look like undipped headlights to oncoming traffic.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A big problem looking at your illumination photos is the lights will blind any oncoming traffic because there is no vertical cut off in the beam. The photos do not show this problem too well because there is nothing much high up in the near scene for them to illuminate but the illumination of the clothes dryer shows there is a good deal of illumination going horizontally and above which will make them look like undipped headlights to oncoming traffic.

nothing some sensitively placed insulation tape cant fix. However I tend to physically dip them* when i have to.

*same style but not the same light

I've done this.. Twice. You'd think I'd learn. :rolleyes:

Hehe I pulled my hair out looking for it where it was parked until I worked out what had happened:laugh:

I think when I first start using these I posted I always ran them on 'full spread', I've since changed to them pointing at ground on a smaller spot as they seem to have the same effect (people see me lol)

Full spread is useful off road at night though:thumbsup:

DRHysted

Guru
I have one on full spread aimed low so it doesn't dazzle drivers, and one on spot aimed ahead of the other beam(but also adjusted so it doesn't dazzle). With the helmet light as well I can generally see everything.

Twilkes

Guru
One tip - if you cycle without the lights in mounts remember to screw the tightening nut in anyway, I didnt and it fell out and I had to replace it with a normal screw....
I
I've done this.. Twice. You'd think I'd learn. :rolleyes:

Major thread bump, but does anyone know the size of thread of these tightening nuts, before I go and try different sizes at B&Q?

Top Bottom