Cricket but no bin Laden in the team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Thats a good idea, let the terrorists fight it out amongst themselves!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Not sure what Biin Laden's got to do with it as he's not an Afgan and probably not in Afghanistan.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
snakehips said:
He could probably play for them through a residential qualification , just like the South Africans in the England team.

Snake

My Library

Do we know if he has ever expressed a love for the game? An appreciation of the sound of leather on willow? Can't be that many good places for a wicket up in those mountains...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm completely stumped as to where he might be hiding out. :biggrin:

Debian

Fnaar said:
Do we know if he has ever expressed a love for the game? An appreciation of the sound of leather on willow? Can't be that many good places for a wicket up in those mountains...

Oh there's probably plenty of places to put a wicket but not too many places to lay out a pitch... :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Ahem... so I'm sort of right

The word wicket is also sometimes used to refer to the cricket pitch itself. According to the Laws of Cricket, this usage is incorrect, but it is in common usage and commonly understood by cricket followers.

(wikipedia: wicket)

Debian

Fnaar said:
Ahem... so I'm sort of right

The word wicket is also sometimes used to refer to the cricket pitch itself. According to the Laws of Cricket, this usage is incorrect, but it is in common usage and commonly understood by cricket followers.

(wikipedia: wicket)

Absolutely correct.

Umpires become pedantic about it though because they are charged with inspecting both and enforcing laws relating to both so we keep a clear distinction between the two, as do the Laws themselves.

The 42 Laws with all their sub-clauses and ambiguities are difficult enough to keep straight in our heads when split-second decisions are needed on the field without introducing possible distractions. Umpiring training officers are quick to jump on any umpire who uses wicket and pitch inappropriately in conversation with officials or players for this very reason.

But yes, the public and players (who don't understand most of the Laws anyway ;)) do use the terms interchangeably.

Top Bottom