Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Can anyone see past Contador for this?

Cyclingnews is saying that this might be the breakthrough race for someone like Dan Martin or another young climber. I would love this but I can't really think that anyone will beat Contador...

Skip Madness

A coincidence - the other day I was looking at the Alps in a French road atlas and saw the ski station of Saint-François-Longchamp on the Col de la Madeleine. "Why does no-one ever hold a mountain-top finish there?" I wondered. Later on the same day I was looking at the profile of the Dauphiné and sure enough, for the first time ever, there is indeed a stage finish at Saint-François-Longchamp. It has been under-classified by the look of it, though - it should be an hors category climb rather than a first.

That is a beautiful-looking stage, as is the one to Briançon. We can also consider the stage to Mont Ventoux a dry-run for the Tour - some riders may want to put on a show there to frighten their rivals.

The truth is that the line-up is not as stellar as some previous editions - thanks to the absence of Giro-riders - and I concur with you that Contador is the likely man for the top step of the podium. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of pacing himself and will almost certainly give it a good whack in the hills.

The French will need someone to get optimistic about before the Tour (when the rider in question will obviously under-perform) so I also forecast a string showing for John Gadret.

Keith Oates

Janner
Perhaps Contador can win both but AFAIK there are not many, if any, that have been in top form for both the Tour and Dauphine. I hope he thinks about the tour first and not blow too much energy on the Dauphine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

benguin

Contador certainly looked good in the time trial today! Not an easy route either. I was born in Nancy and lived with my nan for about 6 years, about 40 yards away from the start of the climb to the Haut du Lievre. Shame I wasn't back home today, though. Waiting for pictures to be sent my way.
The race should actually be quite exciting but yes, Contador should do very well indeed...

ben

yello

I see David Millar's riding... I guess that must have been a late in the day call after dnf'ing the Giro?

Skip Madness

yello said:
I see David Millar's riding... I guess that must have been a late in the day call after dnf'ing the Giro?
He is still in the recovery process from his broken collarbone - resting after a large portion of the Giro and returning here seems like a fitness-building strategy.

yello

Skip Madness said:
He is still in the recovery process from his broken collarbone - resting after a large portion of the Giro and returning here seems like a fitness-building strategy.

Makes sense. Though I wasn't expecting him to finish the Giro, I certainly wasn't expecting him to start the dauphine!

yello

DM did well enough today. Seems like he gave it a go anyway. I didn't watch it on the tele but have just seen it mentioned ont' news.

Cuddley Cadel 'touch my dog, I kill you' Evans still in yellow.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Slightly off topic, but vaguely relevant. There is a team called Katouchka, not sure how to spell it. They make, IIRC, rocket launchers. Some years ago, a cycling team was banned from competing in France because they were sponsored by an on-line betting company. Does Katouchka make things other than rocket launchers, if you get my drift?

Keith Oates

Janner
I think I'll make another adverse comment about DM, I know he didn't read the comment but perhaps it was an omen to get him going yesterday, shame he didn't hang on and take the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

I keep an eye on the Millar Diaries, he hadn't updated them for quite a while so I didn't know what he was up to.

It'll be wet again today, very wet!

Top Bottom