Cross brands?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Did my first cross today on my dads mtb that has mudguards and it just glogged up with mud to the extent that someone practising around the course wtopped me and just disconecctect my brakes (only had about half a lap left)

so anyway I am maybe thinking about getting a cross bike as i would have enjoyed it if my wheel did not clog up (one point my wheel would not move).so what brands are there out there and should I build my own, or buy a complete bike.

and also in the meantime is there anything i could do to stop my wheels clogging up? perhaps take the mudguards off?

Cheers
Steve

wafflycat

Built up one for my son from parts (well, his dad did...)

Got a Kenesis Crosslight Pro3 frame & forks from Mildenhall Cycle Rally at about 50% price it should have been - and it was brand new. The rest was built from stuff we already had in and also bought Tektro cantilever brakes (cantis better at not getting clogged by mud). Made up into a rather nice bike.

You could carry on using your old man's mountain bike with a couple of tweaks;
Ditch the mud-gourds.
Fit some skinny (1.5 to 1.75) dedicated mud tyres. They are designed to shed mud and have less flotation so penetrate the terrain better.

RedBike

sometimes the mud just gets you good. I had to poke the mud and leaves out three times a lap yesterday- suffice to say I didn't last the full hour. The sooner I finish that frame the better.

I thought I was the only one having this trouble. Large 2.5 mtb tyres and thick mud just do not mix.

I know I need skinny mud tyres but i've just brought a cx bike so I don't want to spend any more on the MTB. (I'm having a few teething troubles with the CX bike so it will be a week or two before it's running.)

I've failed to finish the last two races because the bikes just become too clogged with mud to work. So annoying.

mr-marty-martin

hi, im new to the forum and am a pritty good cross rider (im 14 btw), am goin to be racin in the northern champs this year and the natoinals

theres a few differant brands tbh, all depending on what your price range is

heres a pic of mine, its a paul milan and in realy good nic, not the best cross bike but got it for £50, its great for me first season, with 2 sets of mavic wheels, one pair worth nearly £400,

CopyofIMG_2285.jpg

not sure if the pic works lol

mr-marty-martin

and i'd take the mud gaurds of yeh, if you want to put some tyres on then these continentals were going to be my option before i got ma cross bike

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti crosscountry.shtml

Top Bottom